Problems with utorrent and Firefox/Gchat

jisusu

Hey all. Whenever I run utorrent, it slows Firefox down to a snail's pace and crashes Gmail's Gchat. I can never get Gchat to load again until I close utorrent, and waiting 10-15 minutes for a single webpage to load is never any fun. Anyone have the same problems and/or have any suggestions? Thanks a ton in advance.

No problem, and be sure that you set the speed guide settings according to your upload, quite a few people make the mistake of using there download. You might also want to play with the upload limit a bit, not too much though.

My max half-open is already set at 8. Should it go lower? And I'm not running anything right now except for µT, Firefox (a few tabs, including Gmail/Gchat), and MSWord. I mean, things work in the background, but I don't think any of them are on the network or file sharers.

Most of my errors in there say "disk," but a few do say "tcpip." When I click on those, it says "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."

I'll try 2 and 4 now.

I changed it to 4 and everything seems to be working a little better, but I want to give it awhile before saying for sure. Before, it would work for a bit and then abruptly stop, so I don't want to get too happy yet.

chkdsk C: seems to stop while verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3). It also deletes an index entry from index $0 of file 25, whatever that means, but stops doing anything after that. But the "disk" errors in the Event Viewer say: "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation." My laptop is pretty old and has been alternately on and off the fritz for about a year and a half now, so errors don't surprise me too much, I guess.

ETA: chkdsk is doing more now; I must have just jumped the gun on it. It says "Missing object id index entry or duplicate object id detected" and it's deleting more index entries. Then it stops. Doesn't ever get to stage 3 of 3.

Windows help says it could also be a bad cable. I only get these event log errors if I have the proper controller drivers installed, I'm not sure what to make of it :/.

Anyway back to your problem, did you try patching tcpip.sys as is said in the thread I linked? If you try that, also set µT back to 8. You also might want to try 2 before patching, just as a test.

My hard drive could easily have problems - I've had issues with this computer for the longest time, really - but a cable could explain it too. I'll have someone who is better at this stuff than I am take a look at this machine sometime soon to figure out the disk errors.

I did try the patch yesterday, and it didn't seem to do anything... but then again, I haven't rebooted since. I have problems with starting up and shutting down the computer - you probably don't care about the details, like I said, lots and lots of issues with this machine - so I rarely do either.

But Gchat and utorrent are both running right now with it set on 4, and they have been for a little while. I'm thinking it's probably wise to see if it continues working before I try anything new.

By the way, thank you so much for all of your help. It's greatly appreciated.

It is possible that it's the cable, but considering he said his laptop has been acting funky, it's very likely that the drive itself is to blame. Especially since it didn't just randomly fail.. I bet chkdsk will consistently fail at that spot.

You're not the first person to tell me that my hard drive is failing... which is why I'm neither surprised nor extremely worried. Everything important is on an external and it really comes down to my needing a new computer but not being able to afford one just yet. =)

Well, as long as you have a back up, your µTorrent settings and RSS data is stored in %appdata%\µTorrent, rather then set crap back up you can copy whatever you need in there. More info on the stuff in there can be found throughout the forums, read about it first.

Anyway, I asked about it really because I keep getting a ton of the same error, but only when my proper drive controller drivers are installed.

BTW, I think you do need to restart, but since it's giving you trouble booting, don't worry about it unless the half-open limit changes in µT don't work completely.

Archived