Speed problems i believe?? Need a lil insight

2fast4u88

ok here is my problem when i run speed test in utorrent i get 2980Kb for download and 499Kb for upload. Now in u torrent everything is green, port open and such, also read the speed guide. And i only get max 320kB download and about 60kB for upload. Does this seem right? Also i think my connection is faster because i have 3 computer plus the ps3 on the same router/modem and the only one that will slow down is the ps3 and it is on wireless. My dsl service is frontier and i belive is out of florida but all over the east coast. The router is a gigaset se567 with the firewall off on the router with the port open. The computer consists of a gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L board with a celeron e1200 dual core cpu over clocked to 2.55ghz with a 1g of mushkin ddr 800 memory overclocked to 848mhz. The sytem is 24/7 rock solid with more head room cept for memory needs to be bigger but stays cool at 40c under load if that even matters. I'm running windows vista ulitmate with bitdefender total security with the firewall turn off due to connecting to the ps3. Can i sqeeze more upload and downlad speed out of this or what is going on? I have two other routers if it might be my router now that is hooked up if one is better than the other i will switch. I have the gigaset se567, another gigaset one that is black with the dual wireless antenna's not sure on model will have to dig it out and a d-link wbr-1310. Any help will be gladly thankful as to what my problem is and which router is better. thanks

o here is my speed results 276387338.png

Those speeds are perfectly normal with those speedtests.

Notice you even made the same distinctions.... B vs b there are 8 b in 1 B, i.e. a xx/512 line will NEVER exceed 64 KiBps and likely rarely go above 58, so for you getting 60 be EXTREMELY excited. As far as download... yeah 3Mbit download is ~ 300 usually. Technically it's 384, theoretical maximum however... be happy over 300. You may even hit 350 occasionally :D

Other questions?

ok i knew about the B vs b but i do have one other ? i'm using the gigaset se567 right now. Is it honestly any good for torrent's? Also maybe you could answer this when i'm downloading (updated lan driver and now i maxe at about 340) and upload stil at 60 somtimes jumps a lil higher. Why is it that it doesn't slow down the other 2 computers that are wired (still download on them at 150kB) but it does slow down my ps3 to about 60kB but is set up on wireless. Why is that? My connection acts like there is more there but i can't get it all on one computer?

i ran the speed test with all them off but what i'm saying i can be using utorrent on this computer and max out a 350 and 60 upload. I can then go and get on one of the other computers and go on the net and download something and still download at around 150 while the other computer is using utorrent. The only thing on my network that slows way down is my ps3 while this computer is using utorrent which goes down to 60 but is wireless. I can also turn all the computers off and use just this one but still max at 350. So what i'm trying to say it is like my router is limiting my bandwith per computer or something like that. Is that even possible? What do you mean at its operational parameters? Where would that be and what should i change and look for?

crap i thought i was getting 350 and i'm only getting 250 that's what my problem is. What's causing it?

You've got a 3Mbit/.5Mbit connection according to the speedtest. Many modems SHOW their actual configured down/up-limits. I'm not sure where you'd look though.

It certainly sounds like the PS3 is suffering from lag most easily seen through PING or TRACERT actions. For instance if I try to exceed 48 upload on my .5 Mbit upload connection, I see ping google.com and tracert forum.utorrent.com take MAGNITUDES longer. I don't know specifically about routers limiting per IP... you may have some spiffy QoS (quality of service) or other prioritization at your router. Also if your computer can't seem to get above 350 then I guess it's possible your hard drive or other device in the chain... Do you get "Disk Overloaded" messages?

Aside from generic methodical checking like I advise on http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=300000#p300000 the short way to check your speed maximums are to 1) get the torrent from http://slackware.com/torrents/ then stop ALL traffic on your network/LAN/computer. Then download it for 1-3 minutes. Check the speed tab for your sustained download. That's how fast your connection is usually. Then to check if indeed it's your upload with the problem; Start a torrent seeding at your maximum, and try downloading again. If your upload is too high you'll see a marked DECREASE in download potential. You can even tune this (1 minute is a good testing interval) so that you're right BELOW that upper threshold for your connection. I'd suggest changing the upload limit 5-10% at a time.

That's for one computer... I don't know how it's possible that your computers seem to each be pulling that amount simultaneously unless your line is MUCH faster than you tested at.

ok contacted my dsl service since i've been paying for 6mbit connection and not getting it so there suppose to fix it tomarrow. They said my connection right now should be 3.5 according to my router management software but i've ran speed test like 10 tims and the highest i got was this 276778544.png now if i got it right i should be at 399kb on download and now what ever the guy did in my router menu i'm getting between 340 and 350. Also is this what you meant by the router thing screenofdsl2-1.jpg

Yup :D You see that, divide 3712000 by 1048576 and you get MiBps and divide 640000 by 8192 to get KiBps.

Good good. Their tech will probably futz with their modem or gateway, and then you should see that raise to at LEAST 6000000 download if you've got 6Mbit down. Be sure to check it before the tech leaves!! Also, if you don't need to do anything else with it, be sure to check with both a pre-loaded paused HTTP or FTP download for that slackware iso. And testing to be sure uT downloads at least 500 KiBps from slackware wouldn't hurt too. You only need to let it run for 1-3 minutes to verify the sustained speed was raised by them.

Congrats on resolving your own suspicions and learning some in the process. Other questions?

o i plan on making sure i've been paying 49.99 a month for the 6mbit for a year and only getting 3.5. I would go with a better price service but that's all we got around here besides cable or using dish or something. Yea i was a lil pissed off when i started checking into it since i thought that was what they told me when i signed up and i was stuck at those speeds. Also could you possibly expaling the http or ftp dowload thing? And what is the slackware the torrent you posted? Also could you possible tell me one thing i'm using my se567 as modem and router should i bridge it and use the dlink or speedstream as my router as for torrents or leave as i am? Also is there any way to raise the signal on wireless on any of these routers because i don't get so good of a signal. other than that all is well and no more?

o and they also told me that they shouldn't have to come to my house because they should be able to fix it at the local office but if they can't they will be here. In which i don't see that possible but who knows.

Archived