Weirdest Problem Ever

j05huags

I bought two IDENTICAL computers about a month or so ago. Dell inspiron 1720. One was for me and the other for my brother. I downgraded to xp on his computer because he did not like vista. I kept vista. I have always used utorrent, and since i had my computer, never downloaded any torrents. My brother, on the other hand, had numerous gb of who knows downloaded. When i finally tried downloading a torrent, i get a top speed of 5kb/s whereas my brothers computer hovers at 150kb/s. I had the yellow thing and he had the green check mark. I researched and found out how to map the port on the router, which was weird since we were connected to the same router and my brothers computer did not require this to get the green check mark. I now have the green check mark and everything seems to be working fine, but im only getting speeds of 5 - 10kb/s. My internet overall is working as fast as my brothers, but the torrent speeds are SLOWWWW. I've searched for weeks, and tried every solution. I disapled upnp mapping, dht, etc etc, but cannot reach usable speeds. Please help!!

BTW my router is a Us Robotics usr8054

That was quite a nice gift... to buy your brother a computer ;)

As far as your speeds.. if your brother is dominating the line (i.e. using most of your upload) that's to be expected. When following http://utorrent.com/setup_guide.php for multiple connections you should set configurable settings like connections and upload to 1/N (where N is number of computers running uT or other filesharing applications simultaneously).

Does your slowness still persist while the other computer is not using uT? If so I'll have to reference http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 ... I haven't made the leap to Vista yet.

my speeds do not change even if there are no other computers on the network... i also have an acer running xp and another old one with, which i used before i got the dells, and they both download torrents at 70+ kb/s simontaniously ......

and i didnt buy the computers, my parents did : P

Archived