A bit clueless...Security question.

S33der

I have been reading many guides on how to improve torrent speeds the last couple of days and have made some changes to the way that I do things. This has got me thinking however, have I left my machine vulnarable? These are the changes that I have made:

Patched TCP/IP.sys to allow more concurrent connections.

Turned on data encryption in uTorrent.

Created a rule in my firewall - TCP listening port for uT.

Forwarded ports TCP 6881-6999 Inbound and Outbound.

I use Windows firewall on SP3 and obviously my router firewall as well as a good anti-virus package.

The two in bold are the ones that I am most worried about as I dont really understand what I have done. I understand that a tunnel between my router and my machine is created for uT to improve speeds but all the guides I read are not specific regarding TCP or UDP and Incoming or Outgoing. Also I am I correct to set the listening port outside the range of 6881-6999?

I probably have mixed up everything I'm trying to say but any help would be great! :)

Patched TCP/IP.sys to allow more concurrent connections. Doesn't increase speeds, not needed.

Turned on data encryption in uTorrent. Only helps if you are throttled by your ISP.

Created a rule in my firewall - TCP listening port for uT. Good!

Forwarded ports TCP 6881-6999 Inbound and Outbound. You only need to forward the µtorrent port you mentioned above. You can undo this.

Technically you only need to forward incoming traffic both TCP and UDP on the µtorrent port. Thats it. However none of the things will have opened you to any vurnability. From a security perspective you are fine.

Data encryption in uTorrent can also marginally help if you're connecting to lots of peers/seeds that are on hostile ISPs...even if you yourself are not. I say marginally because uTorrent will not deny incoming encrypted requests no matter how you configure it...though if you don't allow any incoming requests due to a firewall, the results are the same. :P

Archived