Bandwidth Allocation - Seeding Question

nimblerabit

I'm wondering if Bandwidth Allocation (High, Normal, Low) affects seeding, and how much it affects it. Specifically I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make sure that certain seeds get almost all of my upload bandwidth when somebody snags them, and the only option I really see is Bandwidth Allocation.

It's for uploads that I put onto the tracker myself meaning I'm often the only seed, and therefore I want to transfer my bandwidth to whoever may be downloading from those torrents instead of others that aren't very important for me to upload to.

Ok I tired bandwidth allocation and it pretty much doesn't do what I want at all. I know I can manually set speeds etc., I can also just stop other torrents manually. The thing is, what I'm looking for is something automatic so at night when somebody starts downloading from one of my High Priority torrents they get my full bandwidth. Not seeing anything like that.

Even when set to LOW, torrents get a minimum amount of upload bandwidth...if it's available!

If you use fewer upload slots on the "LOW" torrents, their upload cut of the total upload pie is smaller...since EACH upload slot is a single peer which must maintain a minimum upload speed to abide by the BitTorrent protocol.

I often set near-dead unfinished torrents to 1 upload slot and LOW priority. ...Sometimes I lower their upload speed as well, though usually that's not necessary.

Occasionally, I do the same on low-demand smaller torrents that are seeding.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for bringing old topic back, but I think it's better to ask related question here instead of opening new one...

I have 2 torrents, 1 completed and seeding and other one downloading and seeding, of course.

I setted the completed one to HIGH priority and downloading one to LOW, upload speed limis are also setted, 50kb.

but what I don't understand is that the downloading one is also taking 50%+ of my total upload speed, say total speed is 50kb too

while my completed one is also uploading and I know that it could upload much more, but it just can't since other one is taking it's speed.

Any idea? I'm trying to do the same as nimblerabit

The thing is, what I'm looking for is something automatic so at night when somebody starts downloading from one of my High Priority torrents they get my full bandwidth.

I'm using v1.6.1 build 490

Thank you.

Switeck

Even when set to LOW, torrents get a minimum amount of upload bandwidth...if it's available!

Any option available to control this "minimum amont of upload bandwidth" by percentage?

Thanx again.

Just updated to 1.8.1 (12639), thanx guys.

Switeck

Each upload slot is entitled to a minimum upload speed, so limiting the downloading torrent's upload slots to only 1 should make the seeding torrent go faster.

but this would make the download one still seed less while the seeding one isn't using full of my badwidth anymore?

guess that's why nimblerabit and me would like to have something "automatic", cause you can't watch uTorrent 24/7.

Thank you.

PS. Off-Topic question, ignore me if it's not allowed.

Can you tell uTorrent to display size in MB instead of shorten it to GB?

eg. 24GB file size to 24XXMB, download/upload transfered 24GB to 24XXMB

Actually, I mean if there's option beside limiting the upload slot which can let us control the minimum speed of LOW priority torrents?

eg. 10kb of minimum speed, so if the seeding/high priority one is seeding, the download/low priority one will take only 10kb max and when the seeding one has finish seeding and using no more bandwidth, the download one will take the full bandwidth back.

the reason I don't like to limit the upload slot is it would stop upload even there's peers asking for upload, change slot back to 0 it will begin upload immdiately.

Thank you. :D

Archived