Graphical swarm

thany

@thany: µTorrent hast such a small footprint...don't you think it would just be a shame to overload it with virtually useless gimmicks now? Why don't you just run one of these great screensavers (like 3D Aquarium etc.) instead, if you'd like to see some grafik action ;)

-DG

Then also shoot down the graphical bars for downloaded and availability... Not to mention the little flag icons. Did I mention the speed graph? Now that's a useless graphical gimmick, if you guys were to speak, right?

Come on, a little fancyness can't hurt. People have CPU's that are way too fast for them (mostly) and all that raw power is at your fingertips. Why not use it? On top of that, it's not that a CPU can't handle all the graphical mumbo jumbo. If I want, I can start 15 Azureuses and still play a game, listen to music and download from usenet all simultaneously.

@thany:

If you can start that many Azureus instances with no problem, then by all means use Azureus. It has more features than anyone'll ever need, and I'm sure it'll fit the bill for your request. Just don't try to make this client into Azureus.

Graphical swarm isn't useful whatsoever. The availability/progress bars are actually useful -- you can tell which pieces are more available (or at least the general region), and which pieces you already have (again, the general region). The speed graph is somewhat questionable, but if one were allowed to select the time interval to show or whatever, it can become infinitely more useful than a graphical swarm will ever be.

The speed graph is useful. Shows you speeds and stability over time. The download and availability bars are somewhat useful aswell.

Seeing your packet travaling to the other peer visually is NOT going to help you what so ever. The flag icons are a gimmick, but are much less CPU\Memory intensive, as they do not need to be updated\redrawn every refresh.

The speed graph is somewhat questionable, but if one were allowed to select the time interval to show or whatever, it can become infinitely more useful than a graphical swarm will ever be.

I agree. It is a little questionable, but nowhere near in the same league as a graphical swarm. I personally would like a graph that updatesevery 0.05s though, so that the line is smooth. :P

Archived