The fake 99.9% problem

Shay Guy

The other day, I noticed that one of the files I was downloading seemed to be stuck at 99.9% complete, and wasn't downloading any more. Even stranger - the Pieces tab listed every single piece from 1 to however many, and looking in the General tab showed that actually, far less had been downloaded. I tried to stop the download and Force Re-Check, but then uTorrent froze up and I had to restart.

When I started it again, the correct download percentage was shown, but it had to go through all the checking again. A few hours later, though, it was stuck at the fake 99.9% again, and I had to repeat it. Lather, rinse, until it was finally really done.

Then I had the same problem with another file. Looking at that one now, a little while after restarting, it says 41.7% downloaded (and was 40.1% when I started), even though it still says "Pieces: 713 x 256 kB (have 202)," which works out to 28.3%. The Pieces tab looks like this. Something's definitely wrong here...

Hmm...yeah, I noticed that, although I don't know what to do about it. (Googling turns up mention of a "diskio.write_queue_size" setting, which I can't find under Preferences.) But why does it keep on suddenly stopping completion of piece downloads, or whatever it's doing? And the sudden drop in recorded upload/download speed?

What exactly does "disc overloading" mean anyway? EDIT: Never mind, I are stoopid. Read TFM, think I've got a handle on it.

• 4 months later...

Archived