Pause all transfers for xx minutes

oliversl

my recently trashed thread was about this feature. my wife gets on her laptop and asks me to pause them, or i get on the local computer with them going and pause them to have full speed while surfing. then - forget to continue and they can be paused for days on end...even 12-16 hours is a huge waste of downloading time(AND seeding time) for everyone going through the night and morning.

i proposed a popup that would show when you right click the tray icon and select "pause all torrents", in it would be 2 radio selections with the following options:

- resume on inactivity for [pull down menu of times]

- resume in [pull down menu of times]

this way - you can have them resume after you've been afk for a certain period of time (wow it's been awhile since i've used that acronym) and one for a set time you can estimate. in that popup will also be a check box for "don't show me this again"...which can be 'unchecked' in preferences to allow the popup again (for those that won't use the feature).

when it comes to the 100k difference (or whatever it comes to), 4 years later has made a huge difference. much less care for how much space the program takes up on the HD or memory. it's a new decade - and we have advanced to a new level of processing.

obviously - my vote is for the feature.

EDIT: some how missed the multiple pages on the bottom of the thread - hah. so i was kinda going off of the last one on there. glad to see it's on the todo list...maybe i helped with ideas on implementing it - maybe not. either way i look forward to it. thanks devs!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I would love to see this someday. Utorrent runs on a server on my network and QOS is hit and miss. I use pssuspend from the clients as a quick shortcut but you still need to remember to unpause. When I am on an important VOIP call I pause the torrents from the server's remote desktop tray and about 1/3 of the time I do not remember to resume because I am focused on the tasks resulting from that call. I am not lazy, I am BUSY. My crashplan online backup has a pause feature that simply asks "how long would you like to sleep" Works brilliantly. I am seeding over 500GB to countless peers and it is such a waste to find it just sitting there doing NOTHING. I don't care how big it would be, bloat or not. would be worth every byte.

• 1 month later...

I'm adding a "for" vote on this one. I'm a consultant with inconsistent work hours. I have a lot of bandwidth (in the grand scheme of things) and I'm not yet metered, so that's all well and good. BUT, when I'm working, which often involves uploading and/or downloading large art files, I want to have all that bandwidth to work with.

Aside from my worklife, I also like gaming, so having the bandwidth free and open to that is a great thing too.

I've tried using scheduler, but my schedule doesn't really work all that well with it. I might be at home working every day for a week and then I'm on the road for two weeks.

For now, I use "pause" and "resume" to achieve what I want, but I've got a lot more on my plate than remembering to pause and resume my torrents. It's no big deal to wake up realizing your torrents have been paused overnight. It's something else entirely when it's 2 or 3 weeks :(...weeks that I could have been seeding for the benefit of others (and myself, of course ;)).

So, yes, it's a little bit lazy, but it's more of a failsafe than anything else.

Just my 2¢...

• 2 months later...

I would also like this to be added. I have lost track of the times I've paused all torrents temporarily to download a big file or browse a heavy site, only to forget to resume them again (sometimes for days). :rolleyes:

Avast has a similar feature to turn-off resident scanning for 10 minutes, 1 hour, or until restart. I think that would be enough; no need for finer control. And no, the scheduler is a completely different thing.

Also, considering the multitude of features that uTorrent already packs in that tiny EXE, a simple pause timer won't make any difference.

Select your torrents, click pause, go download, unpause when done. Feature Implemented. Extra code to save two clicks ? >.>

And what if your download is taking longer or finished ahead of time ?

Just do it yourself, That looks like the best solution to me because of the just mentioned reasons.

With people like this one utorrent will stay at version 3 , 3 more years. :lol:

Even 1000 people says is not good and 1 people is good ....i will go with the one that says is good because it is ;);)

• 1 month later...

Not something I'd use but to developers, how about a simple sleep option with configurable minutes for the timer?

Right-Click along status bar, select sleep. Could be coded such that µTorrent automatically just "turns off" as if it was scheduled and then turns on when timer is done.

I'd think that would cover most of the requests.

And really, anyone looking for a more in-depth solution needs to check out the Scheduler feature as you CAN make it work for you in almost all situations.

I painstakingly setup my scheduler to switch between Off/Seeding/Full/Limited every hour once. Developers, maybe adding some "quick set" schedule options may suffice for a number of people here as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well,

If anyone is reading this, there is a work around to achieve this.

I have a batch file called relaunch-after.bat, that contains the following text.

I created a short cut for this with command line parameter as 30 (right click -> properties will show

"c:\bat\relaunch-after.bat 30" as the target)

Batch file content looks like this:

:kill currently runnning utorrent
taskkill /f /im uTorrent.exe

:Convert delay in minutes to seconds
set /a DelayInSeconds=%1 * 60

:Misuse ping to create a delay of seconds calculated
ping -n %DelayInSeconds% 127.0.0.1 > nul

start "Work-around for start command bug" "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"

You can create multiple shortcuts with "relaunch-after.bat 60", "relaunch-after.bat 10", for having 60 minute and 10 minute delays respectively. You get the point...

What the batch file does is kill the utorrent and launch after the number minutes mentioned in command line.

(Tested under vista 32)

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote a recently-trashed thread requesting this feature which think this feature is a great idea. It would be very handy. I also added that a it would be great if the 'Pause all downloads' menu item in the system tray context menu became a 'Pause all downloads for...' item with a sub-menu similar to that for the 'download limit' sub-menu where the top option as 'Indefinite' and the next may be '2 mins','5 mins','10 mins' etc. This would make a common task (one which I find very annoying and often forget) a lot simpler. :D

I could use a "Pause xx minutes" button.

If I am on my VOIP phone, the line at the other end sounds very scratchy. I can pause down/up loading but then often forget to resume.

The pause time could be set in OPTIONS as 1-120 minutes (default 5), activated from a right-click pop-up box item. The existing pop-up already has "pause all torrents", and "resume all torrents".

• 1 month later...

Glad to know this feature is on the to-do list. The program is beyond excellent considering its size and speed (I used to use Azureus before) and this feature is probably the only thing I feel is missing. From the comments above, I'm not the only one who forgets to resume my torrents.

The "Stop transfers on user interaction" is no good because I'd like to keep my downloads running while I'm playing a game or creating a thesis report.

The Scheduler is very impractical for this purpose. If I'm about to download a 50 mb file that will most likely be done in 10-15 minutes I don't want to rummage through settings to open the scheduler, check what time it is right now, click the appropriate box and then have the torrents resume 45 minutes too late because the smallest setting in the scheduler is one hour. Not to mention that once I'm done, I have to change that setting back because I don't always download files at that time and would like to keep my downloading uncapped next week. And if tomorrow I download a file at some other time, I have to go through these motions once again. This "solution" is far more cumbersome than asking me to "just remember to resume, dude!", which is the main problem.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived