Modem + WRT54g router choice - Line dropping - Advice Please

kinginter

Hi people this is my first post, I am looking to upgrade my current USB ADSL Sagem F@st 800/840 modem to wireless, but would like a bit of advice. What I have been looking at is the Linksys WRT54G router, but have read mixed reviews about it. I know you can patch the firmeware and a lot of people are pleased with it after doing this, so this is what I am intending to do. Problem I am having is working out what modem to use with it & how it all connects. My laptop ]Sony VIAO VGN-FS315M] already is wireless enabled, so I am presuming that buying a modem + router is all I need. The main reason for the upgrade is because my piece of crap modem always drops the line using utorrent, I have win XP home SP2 and have patched the half open connections to 50 - the maximum global is 50 - the max connections per torrent is 50 - I only have 1 torrent at a time running - my line is a 2mb line - I don't know how to limit the upload to 80% (if it can be done on a USB modem) MY line NEVER drops unless I use ANY torrent app.

I may just change to a wired connection, but would prefer wireless so I can use my laptop round the house. If I was to chang to wired, would the ADSL modem plug into the ethernt adaper on the laptop?

Thanks

Guys

I've read that using broadband connections through USB usually means USB v1.0 or v1.1...which is very bad at handling lots of connections at once or lots of new connections per second.

Have you tried going the reverse route and reducing the number of half-open connections to 20 or less?

Also, reduce max connections and connections per torrent.

And while you're at it, reduce upload slots PER torrent to only 3 or 4 -- to see if that helps.

If you're on BIG torrents with >20 peers/seeds, you can disable DHT...as that eats extra bandwidth but won't likely give you faster download speeds.

USB ADSL modem = bad

I've set up around 15 ADSL connections as part of callout work, and troubleshooted a lot more, and USB modems always cause problems. They suck. Get a modem that uses Ethernet, definitely.

However, I think you have a problem. I'm quite sure that the router in question doesn't have an ADSL modem built-in, which means that you will need to have an Ethernet-based ADSL modem to hook into it via one of it's Ethernet ports. I'm not sure if your current modem is able to do this.

So I think you need to investigate this a little more.. because the wireless router is not just an "upgrade" to your modem. What you are looking for is an "all-in-one" device: ADSL modem, wireless AP, and standard router... By the way, make sure you get a modem with ADSL2+ support if you do go out and buy a new one..

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my previous post really, I have upgraded my USB modem to a Linksys WAG54GX2 wireless router (WOW) what a difference. After opening up ports in the router + setting a static IP address, I have Network OK in the status bar & blazing downloads with no disconnecting at all. :-)

So if you have speed problems with a USB modem especially a Sagem f@st 800/840 YUCK! , then get rid of it.

Archived