Major trouble with speed-Speed not matching my connection capabilities

DragonLord

Sys info: Pentium 4 64bit, 2GB Ram, running Win Vista Ultimate Sp1

Cable modem, NO Router,

Utorrent is all green

I used to have a 1.5mbit connection and UT D/L at 200k per sec on average

Now I have a 5mbit/512k connection, and i only get to an average of 100k ps...

I already looked in dozen guides for an answer, no luck.

What should I do?

Thanks buddy,

Oh, it's open office...

So it's like a test file? Ok got it.

I have to admit it downloaded super fast at 230k or so...took just 11 min to finish...nice

My settings:

Upload limit: 60 upload spots: 5

Connections: 120 connections global: 420

Max active tor': 7 max active D/L: 6

Is this what u wanted?

Your settings seem a bit too high for your connection.

Too many active+downloading torrents, too many connections, and too high an upload speed.

No doubt your download speeds suffer because of it.

Try the 2nd link in my signature and choose the 512 kilobits/second upload setting. If you really have only 1 or 2 torrents active at once, you can increase the max connections per torrent considerably. But raising it past 100 is likely to decrease speeds.

you can stay with your previous settings, just lower your UL limit to about ~45K. You should reach your max download speed with the test-torrent. This maximum is exactly what you reach with a regular http download, and if you have an issue with this - it's not uTorrent related, it's either capping of your ISP or not configuring your PC's TCP properly.

Another control I like is the advanced->net.calc_overhead = true. It's a new one and may help too not to cap yourself...

yes. do your "regular" download from abroad get to this max ?

( http://www.netcheif.com/Articles/SpeedTest/SpeedTest.htm )

if so - complain to your ISP ( not that it will help much...) . and go to our 'local' forum for support, it will be much more effective ... ( http://www.tapuz.co.il/tapuzforum/main/forumpage.asp?forum=20 )

edit:

and this new setting net.calc_overhead is there only from one of the 1.8 beta-version latest builds...

Well, hints for tuning TCP are here: http://www.netcheif.com/Articles/TCPOptimizer/TCPOptimizer.htm . Then, you should also make sure you installed the TCP patch if you have XP ( mentioned here http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=258231#p258231 )

For the beta just open your eyes, and look in the uTorrent download page. I will wait for the next release though, since the current one have lot's of debug-related code/tools inside... (I'm still using a previous version build 10431 ... )

well, if you could read my first link (and DragonLord can) you could have noticed that it aims for the connection-optimization. But I'm sure you were also able to understand this from the pictures and links there... :P

Regardless, this patch is unrelated to the line quality but only to the *rate* limit for establishing new connections. It will always help establishing more connections faster and reaching your max available speed (whatever it is limited to) sooner ... Maybe you should ask Ultima for more info about that, since he wrote the post/guide... ;)

First, thx for the reply

Speed test program failed...not working

Went to speedGuide.net and ran TCP Analyzer,

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »

Tested on: 06.06.2008 08:06

IP address: 84.109.x.xx

TCP options string: 020405b401010402

MSS: 1460

MTU: 1500

TCP Window: 64240 (multiple of MSS)

RWIN Scaling: 0

Unscaled RWIN : 64240

Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920

BDP limit (200ms): 2570kbps (321KBytes/s)

BDP limit (500ms): 1028kbps (128KBytes/s)

MTU Discovery: ON

TTL: 113

Timestamps: OFF

SACKs: ON

IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

What does it all mean?

And about this TCP Optimizer, I don't think it works on vista.

as it says..

BDP limit (200ms): 2570kbps (321KBytes/s)

it means that when a latency (ping yahoo.com for example) to your desination is 200 msec (USA for example) you can reach a maximum DL speed of ~2.5Mbps/300K - half your 5M max. Do you donwload anything from the US faster then that ?

I heard that vista may adjust you speed automatically, so you should just see that you get your max. if not , and your ISP does not cap you - TCP Tuning is required, tcp optimizer or no tcp optimizer ...;)

Quote:"Do you download anything from the US faster than that?" - You mean that in a good way or a bad way? Is my speed for this test normal for my connection? I really don't know...

BTW in most broadband speed test sites i DO get good results (5MB/512k), and when I download directly from HTTP or FTP links i get 500k plus D/L speed...its only in Utorrent that I get such slow speeds (between 40k-100k) :(

And how exactly do I tune my TCP settings?

What should I do? Is there a guide for that anywhere?

If my settings change suggestion was worse, is your UPLOAD SPEED equally crippled?

Because you really should be able to sustain the upload speed max you set in uTorrent.

If that's not the case, you may have even bigger problems...such as hostile ISP interference. :(

On older large torrents, it can be unusual to download them faster than about 2x your upload speed...and many times upload and download speeds may be roughly equal.

My upload speed works FINE...U haven't been paying attention dude! :)

...Its only the D\L speed that sux...

Regarding my ISP and Internet Cable supplier, I talked to them several times about this...both claim they do NOT block any port, program, site, or whatever, nor do they limit bandwidth for anything or anyone...so they say...

There's nothing I can do, but to take their word for it.

Looks like my topic was abandoned...sad...

Archived