Heavy memory bug

azade

Hey, I'm having problems with both uTorrent and other BitTorrent clients and its all the same problem. I've seen a lot of info threads about similar problems but none that corresponded to mine so thats why I'm posting this.

No matter which BitTorrent client i use i get a very nasty effect on my computer. It is ONLY with BitTorrent programs that i get this effect, what happens is that the RAM Memory goes to up 80-84% no matter what I'm running at the moment and the computer start to "tremble" under the weight of the program (Imagen that your computer all the sudden got only a 10th of the power its use to have. One noticeable effect is that the cursor start to "peck" and "hack" as you move it.) This is really weird because its a brand new computer, and its not a cheap one of that. I got the same effects on my old computer as well before i replaced it a month ago, but i didn't mind it that much because the CPU was failing on that one anyway so i thought it had to do with that, apparently not it seems now. When using the application the up and down speed is fine, i doesn't matter either whether i use wireless or not, the speed is the same and so is the over excessive usage of memory. I would appreciate any help on what to do.

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium

System Type: 32-bit operating system

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9500 2.60GHz

Memory: 2046 MB

Anti-Virus: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 (7.0.0.125 / Latest Version)

Firewall: Standard Windows Firewall

Router: Linksys WRT54GL (Using Tomato firmware, unsure of which version, about 4-5 months since last update. Cant check right now.)

Just would like to add that i indeed have NVIDIA Control Panel on my computer but I'm certain that i don't have NVIDIA Firewall, so that can't be the problem.

Well i started uTorrent and had Task Manager on at the same time and monitored the Memory it took. It started of at about 10mb memory and slowly climbed about 0.2-0.5mb per second until it reached 52.3mb Memory which made it the most memory occupying application that i had on. There it stopped and started to go up and down a little around 48-54mb. But when starting uTorrent i did not notice the "pecking/hacking" movment of the cursor until uTorrent reached about 25mb memory usage, and the "pecking/hacking" increased as the memory did.

But I'm unsure of which options i should have checked under Disk Cache, I'm not really a professional when it comes to computers. Right now i have these options checked, i think its the default:

No: Override automatic cache size

Yes: Reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yes: Enable caching of disk writes

Yes: Write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes

Yes: Write out finished pieces immediatley

Yes: Enable caching of disk reads

Yes: Turn off read caching if the upload speed is slow

Yes: Remove old blocks from the cache

No: Increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing

Would also like to add that i got the same problems with the TorrentClient Bitcomet on my old computer, but then i thought that it was the CPU failing as i mentioned earlier but it seems it don't necessarily have to. That computer had Windows XP professional, 2046mb RAM memory, Intel 1.8 GHz (Not Dual Core) and Norton 360 Antivirus.

Archived