Problems with multiple connections

lostsoul

Good day!

I've got some problems with tuning uTorrent. The problem is that my home-router Asus WL500gP V2 hangs when i launch uTorrent with default settings: ping encreases greatly from some ms to some hundred ms. And HTTP works very very slow - some pages just can't open. Only after i close uTorrent and reset router i can use HTTP.

I guess that the problem appears because of large number of connections that uTorrent creates.

Even if the real speed is very slow (a few Kbits up/down) uTorrent creates a lots of connections to other peers and my router can't handle them.

I tried to decrease the number of connections and made the following settings:

- Global maximum number of connections = 20

- Maximum number of connected peers per torrent = 20

- Number of upload slots per torrent = 20

After that the overall router perfomance increased and i can run torrent downloads/uploads and surf the web using HTTP at one time.

For example, when i use Flashget to download file that has an exact URL and even if that download uses my channel (7500Kbit/1000Kbit) at almost full speed, i can use HTTP. Thats the difference.

So, i have questions about the meaning of some uTorrent parameters and about tuning uTorrent to achieve the balance when i can sufr web and use uTorrent.

What do these parameters mean:

- Global maximum number of connections - is the the total maximum number of TCP connections that uTorrent uses for upload and downloads?

- Maximum number of connected peers per torrent - is the maximum number of lichers that can connect to my torrent?

- Number of upload slots per torrent - ?

So, i'll be very pleased if you can help me to run uTorrent with my router.

Best Regards,

Serj

jewelisheaven

Well, now i'm reading it "Appendix A: The µTorrent Interface - Preferences"

-----------------------------

I've got cable modem - Motorola surfboard SB5100E. And i saw the link: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1205522675

Modem is connected to my router ASUS WL500gPV2. So my router gets its WAN IP from my ISP by DHCP. And if i look to this IP i see something like 10.x.x.x. It's an A-class private network. But the question is - should i suspect that my Surfboard has been modified by ISP to block the ports you need?? How can check this?

I can buy a static IP from my ISP (3$/mon) but it still will be assigned to me automatically by DHCP (not manually). I hope that it would be a truly static IP, so i could access my PC from the WEB. But now it looks funny)

I have no static WAN IP, so even if i made a port forwarding (see picture below), i can't complete "port test" in uTorrent...

http://foto.mail.ru/mail/superssr/68/s-617.jpg

I have the following uTorrent settings:

- Global maximum number of connections = 20

- Maximum number of connected peers per torrent = 20

- Number of upload slots per torrent = 20

- Maximum upload rate = 65 KB/s

- Maximum number of active torrents = 2

- Maximum number of active downloads = 2

Max number of active torrents * number of upload slots: 2*20= 40.

Max number of active torrents * Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 2*20=40

But Global maximum number of connections limits the above numbers to only 20.

lostsoul,

Your settings will probably be better if set to this:

- Global maximum number of connections = 40

- Maximum number of connected peers per torrent = 30

- Number of upload slots per torrent = 8

- Maximum upload rate = 65 KB/s

- Maximum number of active torrents = 2

- Maximum number of active downloads = 2

It is not helpful to try to upload to everyone that you're connected to at once. It spreads your upload too thin and means actually completing a full piece to anyone can take potentially hours. Until you get a complete piece to them, they may have nothing to share with anyone else...so this can really slow down how fast a torrent spreads.

I've upgraded the firmwire of my router and made settings that were advised by Switeck (40, 30, 8)

Now it runs good!

I can also see the CPU and Memory workload of all processes in my router and the total workload is about 10%.

Sometimes HTTP doesn't work but i guess it's because of me cable modem (not router) Motorola surfboard SB5100E, so i reset it, and after the reset everything runs good!

But i've noticed something: even if i limit the upload speed to 1Kbyte/s ("Prefs -> Connection -> Maximum upload rate = 1") the true upload speed can overcome the limit and become 10-15Kb for several seconds. So does this limit works properly?

Archived