Just switched to uTorrent, can't seed an old torrent

Scourge441

I recently uninstalled the mainline client in favor of uTorrent. I'm trying to reseed a torrent I had seeding in BitTorrent.

I followed these directions from the guide:

Loading torrents in µTorrent

Loading a single torrent for seeding is simple enough provided you know the location of the .torrent and the files.

1. In µTorrent, click File > Add Torrent (no default save)

2. Browse your way to the .torrent file you wish to seed and select.

3. Browse your way to the folder where the files are located and select the folder.

The torrent should appear in the torrent window and load (you will see the % climb up as µTorrent checks the file).

This didn't work. uTorrent treats it as a completely new torrent and begins downloading the files. I obviously don't want to have to redownload what I already have to be able to seed this torrent.

Thanks in advance.

I am having the same issue of not being able to finish sharing a seed I created. I followed the above instructions the best i could (don't understand the "correct folder layer" part). I had to reformat - so I need to get this seed seeding again so people can finish getting it.

Thanks in advance

-Majestic One

thX 4 the quick reply jewelisheaven...

here is what I am doing, mabey you can correct me on this:

1] add torrent (no default save)

2] stop torrent

3] right click/advanced/set download location... (point to folder where files are)

4] right click force re-check

5] start torrent

starts to download...

let me ask you this too; I originally had the share in a different folder and put it in my newly assigned completed folder to see if that would fix this issue. no go. does it have to be in the original folder as the torrent was created from?

and...

I have my created torrent in the same folder as my share files (though it is NOT a part of the torrent - and was there originaly)

thank you again

-Majestic One

If with that procedure youre not getting > 0 % you have the wrong data.... or it was corrupted. uT goes through the filenames in the torrent and checks THOSE FILES ONLY. If you renamed the files in the folder you need to use 1.8 as that has "Relocate" in the Files tab which does the same per-file that set download location does for single files and all-files-in-one-folder.

Hello...newbie to torrents, started a couple of weeks ago...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking I have basically the same problem. For some reason, I'll go with stupidity...I chose 'Remove' to take a torrent off...just to see if I could put it back again.

When I choose 'Add Torrent' and go to where the uTorrent file is located...it makes me start leeching the download again. I noticed in properties of the file, that it just must be a URL or something (1.4kb).

When I go to the file that has the decoded torrent...A) it opens into 2 files and B) uTorrent tells me it's too big a file.

So I'm guessing I have to decode or something to that effect. Really lost here.

Thanks.

You're not in the uT GUI? If it found the data, it will only download what you're missing. What is your Downloaded % (General tab) for the torrent? NOTE: The Checking 0.0%->100% is not "finding the data", you need to see red disappear and blue appear in the bars on the General tab to see that data is being hashed as good.... you could also use Files tab to check on an individual file basis.

OK maybe I should start from the beginning..as the files are showing mine as incomplete with only an 8.9% completed. Lots of red.

Problem being, I already downloaded this show (100% complete) of 986MB....extracted the rar.files...and used Flac FrontEnd to decode it to wave files...and burnt it's entirety to CD.

So I already have it...it shouldn't be incomplete in any way.

What made me 'remove' it from uTorrent was trying to gain the know how on how to put it back at some point...while I have a small number of torrents now, at some point I will have many and would like to move them to DVD to relieve my hard drive...and then put them back as needed for seeding.

So Im just trying to put it back from where it came...but it's listing me as a leecher on the jungleland site(again) and trying to download the whole show to me (again).

Don't know if this made sense...and sorry for my not understanding completely.

If you don't have the original anymore you can't. If uT shows your data directory as incomplete, you are not complete. Bittorrent is byte-identical ... when uT says you're not complete you're not... irregardless of what you did with the original data it doesn't match now.

The migration guide covers basics for any sort of re-add operation. If they were RAR files it's possible they are corrupted.

So once I extracted and decoded it...I basically destroyed the torrent itself I gather.

I'll check the migration guide.

I checked my other torrents....all of them are 100% completed...solid blue bars...except one. While it is listed as 100% complete with sold blue across..and I've been seeding it now for like 5 days...the 'availability' has intermittent white gaps.

Anyhow..thanks for your time and effort, it's greatly appreciated.

this MAY be of some possible help to jack and nitor...

if you don't have the original torrent, you will need to go download the "torrent" again - usualy you can key word search in google with the exact name as listed in your complete or incompleate folder - like this for example;

i.e (in a google search box - YES use quotes);

"name of torrent"+torrent

-Majestic One

Archived