Problem setting up a static ip

Bunji

UPDATE: Turns out it was a problem with windows. My comp crashed in the middle of system restore and corrupted windows. I had to format and did a clean windows install. Got my ports forwarded easily now on my fresh windows install. I can finally use utorrent without getting choked now.

I've been using utorrent for about 6 months with the yellow triangle "no incoming connections". I've tried setting up a static ip a few times but I get stuck at the same point every time. When I put the DNS numbers into my tcp/ip settings my internet stops working completely and only system restore brings it back.

I think my modem is also a router, because in ipconfig DNS servers says 192.168.1.254. I found two DNS server numbers in my modem configuration website so I used those; are these the right DNS numbers or should I call my ISP again? The last time I called my ISP about this issue the guy had no idea what I was talking about and told me the DNS numbers should be 1.1.1.1 which is obviously not right.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS V.6 router and Westell 2100 modem. Bellsouth/AT&T ISP

Thanks

Archived