Merging Two Parial Files

zaidgs

Me and my friend have been downloading the same file (using the same torrent) separately. Is it possible to merge the partial files?! If so, can it be done using utorrent?! Or does anyone know if a third-party utility that can do this job?!

You need to use a torrent client if you have different data. If he's your friend there's an eas(ier) way... both of you take your comp/data to the same location... and use two instance of the client... point ONE to your data (lets call it A) and point the OTHER to his data (call it B). A + B will both share pieces only they have but it will NOT complete the data unless when you see one of you connect to the other the availability goes > 1.000

Firon is correct, I want to do this offline (not through the internet)... All I want to make use of his pieces... I have about 20% and he has about 40%... I was hoping that I can merge the two partials to get something like 60% (or less because of overlapping) of the file....

I read that some torrent clients detect peers on the same LAN... Can't we say connect to the same torrent from the same LAN to get faster p2p connection?! Or isn't it possible to setup a tracker on a LAN to simulate normal downloading with the exception of the speed LAN connection?!

In short, I want to make use of my and my friend's internet connection to get the file faster...

To do that over the internet you need to make a VPN connection from one of you into the other.. this will give you a LAN IP address. My suggestion is so much easier.. unless your friend is across the ocean ;)

Yes that some client also includes uT but you must be on the same subnet.. aka on eachother's LAN. If your IP from cmd /k ipconfig is 192.168.2.199 when he connects it should be say 192.168.2.210

jewelisheaven, I don't think you understand what I want to do... The whole point is to NOT do it over the internet (since internet provide relatively low bandwidth)... My friend is next door... He downloads on his laptop, using his own connection.. I too download the same file using my own connection... I was thinking he can come over with his laptop, and connect the two computers and make use of both of our pieces... Hence saving both of us time and bandwidth..

If he brings his laptop and connects it to your router, then you could both enable Local Peer Discovery to find each other and connect. Furthermore, if you disable "limit local peers bandwidth", then the transfers between you two will go as fast as your LAN can go.

Archived