uTorrent is just perfect!

uClient

i have been browsing this forum looking for troubleshooting tips after my uTorrent 1.8 Beta began to crash after a week of solid connections. i am really impressed with the speed but not so with the intermittent 'freeze' issue that requires a restart. the rest of the system runs fine even when uTorrent stops responding.

if you're thinking 'oh no not another freeze/crash thread' dont worry theres plenty of that to read through which have some really helpful tips as well but what i want to ask is why is it never uTorrents fault, its always something else, the software, the hardware but never uTorrent?

no application can be so 100% bug free that the only way to get it to work is to uninstall everything even throw out you're RAM just to get it to run without freezing. its quite laughable that when someone submits a HJT log there is always something else there that causes only uTorrent to stop responding?

i dont know if anyone else has tried to run uTorrent on a clean system where its the ONLY third party application with the rest bieng the OS and its bloatware, i think i might give that a try, but really perhaps uTorrent needs looking into so it works with all those programs that have been flagged as problematic rather than suggesting they be uninstalled....

The problem with the freezing is that the firewalls that hook into ut lock it up by doing weird stuff (socket calls failing that should never fail, or blocking I/O indefinitely).

It works beautifully when there isn't a lame firewall trying to trap socket calls and screw around with them. Most of these same firewalls cause the same issues with other torrent clients.

We've actually looked into a lot of these, but would require a lot of hacking around for something that really shouldn't need to be done anyway.

but why freeze intermittently? surely a firewall will lock up uTorrent each and every time, i've been downloading/uploading torrents for several hours now and not one issue but it wasnt like that yesterday, after several restarts i gave up when uTorrent for the first time took firefox down with it.

i understand firewall conflicts are fairly common but without one the system is vulnerable to the other cause of lock ups and crashes - malware....

Well, not every firewall has problems. Strangely, the same firewall can work fine for some people.

They don't freeze or crash consistently for various reasons. They only screw up some calls, or there's a hardware related component to the issue (like the NVIDIA firewall crashes on dual core systems, but not single core)

If you want more help with the benefit of others, submit the HJT log. Not every log actually has an obvious cause for problems. That's why ultimately it's always up to the end user for testing/troubleshooting since it's impossible for the staff and helpers to know ll configurations of uT with all the hardware drivers and software out there :P

Not rude at all, except for the fact you apparently expect a post which doesn't get bumped to get answered.. and after you make a point of saying "service sucks here" to remove the ability to help you further. Your choice of AV may be at fault or it may not. If you didn't test with Avira uninstalled.... do that. If you didn't want to post HJT fine, check the logfile you create against the reported problems on this forum yourself. Your process explorer showed guard32.dll and the Avira LSP injected which could cause trouble if it counts uT as some sort of internet browser... other than that it's up to other installed software/out-of-date drivers as likely suspects.

You dig your own grave here, impatience doesn't make unpaid volunteers want to help you any more.

Archived