Download speed won't exceed upload speed (sometimes)

lecisco

It seems not all bittorrents are created equal. If I point to Slackware 10.2 torrent I can get 300kB/s download while my upload is about 50kB/s. However if I point to others the download seems to be limiting at about 50kB/s to match the upload limit. If I add a second download, the first drops so that the total of both remains at 50kB/s. Can anyone tell me why this happens for some downloads?

Even if it was just a slow download it doesn't explain why adding a second would drop things to still total the 50kB/s max. My download limit is set to "unlimited".

If your total download never exceeds 50, sounds like ISP interference (more specifically called traffic shaping)... If this annoys you, I would check the ISP's ToS, EULA, FUP, AUP (all acronyms for documents they put out there for their customers' viewing). Somewhere it should mention "limits on your service" ... and include situations where you won't get your advertised speeds. If you don't see it, you can always try their support lines, but be wary sometimes they will not be forthcoming with this information. Alternatively first check out your ISP on a site like dslreports.com which critiques/forums on ISPs and their offers.

Thanks for the quick reply. Strangely this morning things are back to being fast. My upload speed is 56.2kB/s and downloading 2 torrents at a combined speed of 364kB/s. I suspect you are right that the ISP was capping something temporarily and the software was just distributing the bandwidth amongst the downloads. It seemed like the download limit was artificially set to equal the upload speed but things aren't always what they seem.

Archived