Problem with how it detects free space.

georgyo

I don't know how to explain this well, so I just explain what happens.

uTorrent Version = 1.8beta (build 10524)

Downloading Cent OS DVD (4.3 Gigs) on to the second partition of my computer which has 40 gigs free, however since I have a stupid vio, my C drive only has 3 gigs free.

About every 7% of the download, the download stops telling me that their is will be no space on the disk, even though it already reserved all the space on the correct drive. This may be time based, rather then % based, I didn't really clock it.

if I resume the download, it just continues where it left off. My guess is, that it only checks the C drive while in the process of downloading something. But does the correct check when starting (or resuming) a download.

The both partitions are NTFS. Seeing how I can see the allocated file on the correct drive, and the fact that my C drive has not lost any space during this process. Also utorrent is installed on the D drive, and I configured all directories to be on the D drive. So, it shouldn't ever use the C drive for anything.

Also, this doesn't answer why it gives me the error while the download is going, not as I start the download. Their wasn't even a warning while it allocated the space. And resuming the download, starts from where it left off. So, I am 60% done. So their must be space available, if I still have 3 gigs on My C drive (I know I started with this, because I prune my C drive regularly, Sony though it was smart to make the C drive a 10gig partition), and the space is allocated.

as I said, I have verified it being downloaded to the right place. I have checked this several times.

This is, without a doubt a bug. The download just competed, and I still have 3 gigs free on my C. And, the file is on D. So, I know it was all correct.

Bleh, this was a time.

Of course windows returns the information. However uT does ASK for it, and does the internal check itself.

And hence, it hence it can check against the wrong drive.

I been a system admin for 5 years. I am not a stupid user, I not asking for help, just reporting the problem.

I mean really, the problem is their, it downloaded to another drive, with 40gigs of free space, and returned errors about ever 15 minutes about running out of space. It completed the download, and the 4.3gig file wasn't damaged. The program just was preforming a check that was wrong. Simple.

This is also a rare problem I would imagine. And most people have more free space on C and/or don't download 40gig torrents, so it wouldn't make itself apparent.

Reporting bugs is never a rewarding system is it.

Look, it's not related to your issue with the C drive at all. I don't even have a C drive, so if this were the issue, it'd clearly not work for me.

uTorrent doesn't even check free space except when adding a torrent. It will blindly allocate the files regardless of if there's space or not. (and error out when Windows says there's no space)

Windows is telling utorrent that there's no space.

Archived