uTorrent 1.8 beta creates invalid torrent

pc486

As a forewarning I do not use uTorrent or Windows. I cannot test the latest beta even if I wished to do so. Hopefully someone can test the latest beta and verify if the bug still exists for me. That said...

uTorrent 1.8 beta appears to make torrent files with an invalid bencoding. I have found a few torrents in the wild where:

1. The torrent's 'created by' key is 'uTorrent/180B'.

2. The torrent supports multiple trackers ('announce-list' key).

3. The torrent's base dictionary is not in lexicographical order, as defined by the BitTorrent specification.

I'm trying to avoid breaking forum rules, so here's a sample key list as they appear in an invalid uTorrent 1.8 torrent:

announce-list
announce
created by
creation date
encoding
info
length
name
piece length
pieces

The correct lexicographical order on these keys would be:

announce
announce-list
created by
creation date
encoding
info
length
name
piece length
pieces

The difference is the key order is the swapping of 'announce' and 'announce-list'

I have identified wild uTorrent 1.7 files that are valid ('announce' before 'announce-list').

My apologies if this bug is already fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently came across some torrents which were created with "uTorrent/180B", which didn't work with the bittorrent and bittornado clients in Debian (4.0r3). Luckily I found a workaround; edit them with http://torrenteditor.com/

I either remove one tracker or rearrange the list of trackers, and the edited torrent works fine in the clients I mentioned.

It was kind of hard to find out if this problem had been fixed in the current utorrent 1.8 Beta, as the incompatible torrents don't contain any build number, and I (also) don't use windows, except when there's absolutely no other way (wine and similar stuff not included).

I had to go dust off an old pc, install XP and other necessary stuff, and utorrent 1.8 Beta (build 11200), create a torrent with it, transfer it to my debian box and try it out with the bit[torrent/tornado] clients.

As you might already have guessed, that torrent worked just fine.

Anyway, feel free to point out the torrenteditor.com workaround, if other people should happen to complain about incompatible torrents created with "uTorrent/180B".

Archived