Utorrent stops internet activity

Sakubo

Ive had this problem for awhile now and no matter what I do it wont go away. Im currently using windows vista w/ sp 1 installed, previously I was using windows xp with service pack 2 installed and having the same issue. Basically if i download with utorrent after a random amount of time all my internet activity stops. Cable lights still show they are reading, the network still works but i can no longer open pages and the transfer rate on utorrent drops to 0/0. Unplugging the cable and plugging it back in fixes the problem but only until the next time it does it. It only happens if Im downloading. I can seed forever without a problem.

Things I tried:

lowered the net.max_halfopen to 4 then 2 no change

disabled IP resolving

disabled dht

disabled upnp and nat-pmp

peer.resolve_country was always set to false

maximum global number of connections i have reduced this to 25 with no change it still locks up.

Originally I had the modem connected directly to a pc when i was running windows xp, now I have a completly new pc with vista sp 1 and it connects through a router model wrt310n by linksys, cabel modem model is motorola surfboard sb5100. My cable connection is 15Mbits down and 2Mbits up. I have my upload capped at 170kB, usually I cap it lower in case the upload speed bounces. Latly I been capping at around 100-110 to be safe. I dont have any issues with speed. I am able to port foward fine in vista, I had trouble with xp unless I was connected directly to the modem. Everything works great until it just stops. If anyone has ideas or you need more information to help me let me know. I just recently built this vista machine and as such i didnt install any antivirus or firewall software on it yet. Also my cable company is Mediacom.

I posted once along time ago and never gave information to get the issue fixed. This time I posted all the steps I have tried from that guide and included as much information as it asked for someone to help. If more information is needed then let me know what I left out and I can provide that. I read over the guide already and did what I could.

Maybe I didnt post it clear enough. Connecting directly to the modem gives the same problem. It will still drop the connection after a period of time and im no longer able to access the internet until I unplug the modem. It doesnt matter if Im connected directly to the modem or I use a router it gives me the same problem. I was wondering if the modem itself could some how be causing the problem since it does it no matter which way I connect the modem to a pc. It also is very random, I noticed during the day it seems to happen much more often then at night. When I run it during day I might get it to crash anywhere from 15 mins to an hour but at night it will run anywhere from several hours to all night without having a single problem.

For the router I checked the first time it happened and updated its firmware to the newest verison that linksys had aval. I can look at switching to a dd-wrt router firmware if you really think it will help but since I was crashing before I even had the router I figured it wasnt a problem on the router.

i fixed my problem. Im not sure why it was doing it but I took my cable modem over and had the cable company replace it. They gave me another one of the same type but I no longer have the problem. Everything works fine now. So I guess there was something wrong with the other modem.

Archived