[DON'T USE] Mini-guide to help all of you with your speed problems...

1c3d0g

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have read through your tutorial and was pretty sure I could handle the tweaking, rather than go the head-in-the-oven route. So off to Intel I go to begin the update of the chipset drivers. Wow. There's a slough of stuff there listed for my chipset:

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009241.htm

Intel's chipset-identifier utility says I'm using the "865 Chipset Family." But Windows Device Driver is telling me the chipset is "Intel ® 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P" (I think that's 865 G, is it not? Or is it 865 PE?). I also looked up the specs for the motherboard listed on my invoice, and it says 865PE.

865 G and 865 PE are both listed in the table. So...what the?? What do I download? And do I also download the "additional chipset drivers" listed separately at the bottom of the page?

I'm a bright person, but I am giving serious consideration to the oven.... Is this less complicated than it appears, by chance?

Update - I'll continue to await an assist with that Q about the chipset. But I did go ahead and update all other drivers (NIC, etc.) using Windows Device Manager.

Oh yeah... This link is bad: "Just surf over to our German friend LvlLord and download the appropiate patch for your OS."

To the moderator: my two posts above are directed to Icedog, the originator of this thread. The "bad link" is in his/her opening post. I'm letting Icedog know that the link does not work. I've read the rules already (both sets), but they don't help me with the specifics of Icedog's tutorial.

excuse moi, newbie here. however closely i followed the 'mini-guide', did like evrything stated to my uTorrent, but my d/l speeds hadnt increased abit! before doing anything, it was like <15kBps, and now, its still <15kBps! (and its speeds of 3 torrents as total on a private tracker i suppose) my speeds are as follows below:

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 143 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 17 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:52:43 GMT+0800

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 60.24 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 61.37 % of your hosts average (com.sg)

Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-ZRPW79JO8

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1939 Kbps about 1.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 237 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:02:45 GMT+0800

Bottom Line:: 35X faster than 56K 1MB download in 4.32 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 102.82 % faster than the average for host (com.sg)

Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-8MBWGQC4P

Amt of seeds and peers of the 3 torrents i'm d/ling:

1. 7 seeds 2 peers

2. 9 seeds 5 peers

3. 10 seeds 7 peers

i have the 'Network OK' below of uTorrent, however when i did the port forwarding test i have the failed result back. i use the norton antivirus 2005 firewall (auto-protect and internet worm protection), but do not know of any way of port forwarding through it. besides this reason for my slow speeds, i cannot figure out what other stuff that is causing me to d/l at such a slow rate. what else can i do to improve my d/l speeds?

MAJOR help needed from anyone please...... thanks!

TrueNorth: the patcher works for all OSes, he just localized the patcher to two different languages (English and German)

jevon: try 13 or 14 as your upload cap... And uninstall Norton's firewall. Go get a real one. Kerio/Sunbelt Personal Firewall, Zone Alarm 6, and Look'n' Stop Firewall. YOu should uninstall the anti-virus too, it sucks and doesn't protect you at all. AVG, NOD32, Kaspersky. Probably others I can't remember.

ive uninstalled norton's firewalls, and now ive put windows firewall on temporarily b4 i get another firewall. i followed instructions from cbrooks(some1 prefers uTorrent) on Azureus forum below:

"

~ Go to ur firewall/security

~ click on expections tab

~ add new port

~ in the top bar put in name ie: az, utorrent.

~ then in bottom one put in ur port #

~ do this both for tcp and udp listening ports

~ then go to advance tab

~ click settings for ur connection ur using

~ u will be in services tab

~ click add

~ then put in ur info

~ name of client

~ ur ip addy

~ then put in same port # as before, in both internal and external

~ do this for both udp and tcp

~ ok everything, put port # in ur client

~ reboot

"

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/9/263334

after doing so, i tried the uTorrent port checker, and returned result "Warning! Port ##### can not be checked. Your browser is setup to connect through a proxy. This script will not work through proxied connections." so urm. what did i do to make a proxy appear 'magically'?

and my d/l speed still did not improve =( wondering is it a problem with my ISP? thanks Firon for the recommendations. will get another anti-virus soon.

with the open-office torrent, i only got speeds <8kBps... out of 152 seeds, i only manage to connect to 17 seeds. another thing to note of is i noticed the tracker status is always "working". is it meant to be like this, or there's something wrong?

Wow, that's way too low! :o You should've gotten at least half of your maximum download speed, but usually people max out their download speed completely with that torrent. :/ The tracker status is OK, don't worry about it. So like I said before, something's wrong. I think your ISP may be shaping BitTorrent traffic 'cause your speeds aren't normal. In this case there's nothing more I can do to help you. If you can find out what ports your ISP uses for VoIP/NetMeeting/Xbox Live etc. you may forward one of those ports and hopefully nothing will mess with your downloads. I hate to say it, but if all else fails, you may have to forward port 80, 21, 110 or 25 and see if it makes any difference. Only do this as a last resort though, as other people find it quite annoying when people use e-mail ports etc. for BitTorrent traffic. Alternatively, if it's an option, you could switch ISP's to one that doesn't screw your BitTorrent traffic. :/

my friend is also using e same ISP as me, however he have much better speeds than me when connecting to e open office torrent. i onli hav 20 seeds connected while he has 90, i onli hav speeds <10kBps while he had 75kBps. 1 difference between us is that i use utorrent while he uses bitcomet. i tried using e same port as him, but i still got this same result... i even tried port 80, but e speed is still <10kBps... so now i think ISP and ports are not possibilities why i have slow speeds. so what else could be causing me to hav slow speeds while torrenting? i hav no problem downloading data except when using torrent. please help again and thanks.

edit: wrong usage of kbps and kBps woopsss

hmm guess i should state my conditions mor clearly:

- i get e network OK message

- i use cable (not very sure, but thats what starhub says it is)

- i use Windows XP service pack 2

- currently uninstalled all firewalls

- yes my port is open

- and im using Starhub (Singapore), known to shape/throttle BitTorrent traffic. No known workaround. however if its problem of starhub, why doesnt my friend get affected? is it because hes using bitcomet? (i dont think its a problem because of region, cause Singapore is such a small place?)

- dl speed is 1939 Kbps

- ul speed is 143 Kbps

- max dl speed in utorrent was 15kBps (total)

- max ul speed in utorrent was 10kBps (total)

another thing i noted of is, how come my connected seeds cannot exceed 20? i saw "20 (50)" in many instances, and for the open office torrent, i have "20 (157)" seeds.

sorry for asking for help sooooo many times, but im really idiot in this field... im really desperate for help, thanks in advance!

Archived