[DON'T USE] Mini-guide to help all of you with your speed problems...

1c3d0g

I'm having some speed problems. My upload is, according to the ISP deal, 400kbps.

But, when running TCP test at various hours of the day, I only get 256-258kbps.

I have notified my ISP as I believe the problem is with them. However, since I followed the mini guide and pached my TCP, I'd like to rule out this action as the couse of my problem.

So, is there a way to un-patch my TCP? Or any other way to really make sure this could not be cousing my poor upload speed.

(My download speed is just fine.)

tHanKs,

tCm

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. :) If you made a back-up of the .reg file (which is generated when you run TCP Optimizer), just double-click it to restore the values. I believe the program itself has an option to "Restore Defaults", IINM, but since I don't have the program in front of me, I can't say exactly where it is.

1c3d0g

What can I say except that it works! Thanks also to LvlLord and MaV. Some of these settings are not intuative and this help has increased my speeds by about 10x (reducing connection numbers etc seems weird but it worked for me).

Thanks again.

Duval

Ok.

Stupid me took away TCP/IP Optimizer after I patched... :/

Unfortunatly speedguide.net, the author of TCP/IP optimizer, seems to be down. I did find the software on http://www.majorgeeks.com ver. 2.03. Hopfully this is the same version that I used.

I don't think I have any backed up .reg files. If I do, I would't know where...

I do, on the other hand, have two file's called sg_backup_2006-02-10-1943.spg and FirstBackup.spg which I think was generated when patching TCPIP.sys with EViD..?

Hopfully I'm able to restore all settings related to internet connection speed so that I can rule out that the slow upload is due to some settings I made, and simply ask my ISP to take care of the issue! ;)

What I'd really like to hear is 1c3d0g or some other network wizz tell me something like:

"Nah man. If you just entered the propper values when patching, your issue is not caused by you. If you want to make sure though, try running this program and then call up you ISP and tell them to fix the problem." :)

/tCm

Duval: that's great! :D Enjoy µTorrent. ;)

tCm: well I'm certainly not a network wizz... :P but you can restore it by going to FileRestore backed up settings (choose the back-up file), and doing the same with Restore Windows Default settings (choose the other back-up file). ;)

Hi to all thx 4 da help you have provided. But i need your help i have a wireless internet connection which is not mine but im using. i have tried forwarding ports in utorrent and i still havent got a green light apart from port 80 which sometimes gives me a green light. i dont have access to the main admin computer. so all i have to do is to guess the ports that can be forwarded. any help

hi

i read the first post and tried the tweak on my config

i met some problems:

1 TCP Optimizer cant go past 20000 ks/s and my connection is 24 Mb/s what should i do? I set it to 20000 anyway

2 my upload is 1 Mb/S = 125 kB/s . I have a problem with the numbers of connections i think but i dont know why exactly

example im currently dwonloading from 3 torrents. My firewall reports 247 TCP connections 250 kB/s dwon and 95 kB/s up approximatively. the problem is download speed. I should have plenty of bandwith left but internet and mail are laggy.

further testing: 3 torrent running i download a file from my ISP website : 400 kB/S

next : all torrent on PAUSE: 2800 kB/s

so i guess its somewhat relate to the number of connection but i dont get how and why.

i applied the winXP patch

im in DMZ behind a Dlink DI604 router

killingfrost:

1.) Shouldn't matter, really.

2.) The amount of connections could be overwhelming your modem/router...you may have to set it to something lower. Alternatively, you could use the built-in speed guide (us e the 1 Mbit option) and see if that works out better for you. ;)

Oscarxp: sorry, if you can't access the router, then you're out of luck. B.t.w., I hope you're not stealing your neighbour's wireless connection, as that could get you convicted... :|

"Another very important thing you need to do is to patch your TCPIP.sys file. If you don't know what this, don't worry. Just surf over to our German friend LvlLord and download the appropiate patch for your OS. When the download has finished, double-click the program and press C on your keyboard. Then, type in the number of your upload speed in kb/s (notice the small "b", thus kilobits), in our situation it was 128 kb/s, so we'll type in 128. Press Enter. Press Y. Now the program will check to make sure that the patch was applied properly. If you get any annoying Windows messages telling you that critical system files have been modified and need to be replaced with the original versions, just click on Cancel to prevent Windows from undoing what we just did. Reboot your system when the patching is complete."

Does i still fill in the upload speed in kbits? I can choose from a value from 10-?????? in that program.

Mine is 340 so i fill in 340? Because on the FAQ is stated never to exeed 100??

If you see that you're not (temporarily) choking your network with multiple half-open attempts, then you can set it at 100. If, however, you ramp up slowly (due to connecting to few peers at once), you see frequent tracker time-outs (if you have a long list of torrents etc.), then you can set it higher. ;)

Goodmorning from Greece,

I am a new user of mtorrent. My connection is adsl 384/128 and i have a usb adsl modem (it came with the provider). I have some speed problems. I use the 1.5 version. The maximum i have downloaded is from 18-22KB. Never more. And also when i am downloading with even 5KB i can not surf in the Internet. Can you please tell me what are the optimal settings for my connection? (i have done everything you mention in the guide tcp patch ect and i download torrents with many seeders/leechers)

I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

USB = problems with BitTorrent. Sorry. :/ Have you read the guide? It explains in detail how to calculate the most efficient settings for your upload/download (or just use the built-in Speed Guide). ;)

And your download speed is OK. I've got twice your download capacity yet I also get around the same (18-22 kB/s) speed from most torrents. Only on OOo torrents and other very well-seeded torrents do I get maxed out.

Thanks,

I read the guide and did everything, but still can not download more than 20KB. How is it ok? if the max i can get sould be 38-40KB?I remember that in the 1.4 sometimes i got around 35KB but since i installed the 1.5 i am around 20KB. Maybe there is a problem with the version?

You reccomend that i buy a new router/modem and if yes which one?

Nah, I didn't really imply that you buy a new modem. ;) I just meant that USB modems are very problematic with BitTorrent in general. You can check with your ISP if you can swap your USB modem with a "normal" (that works with the Ethernet cable), mine has both options on the same modem, and I use Ethernet...no problems at all. Make sure your motherboard has the necessary connections for it though. ;)

raski: awesome! :D

Risbin74: yeah, unfortunately many people experienced trouble with DHT and have to turn it off. I'm starting to think something is bugged with it due to so many people complaining about time-outs, disconnects etc. :/

I wonder why some need this guide to get good speeds.

My utorrent runs fine with almost every setting i use. I used this guide to tweak the settings but noticed no difference. Well, if the dl is maxed there is nothing to tweak. I ended up with my own settings which are the default one for my line changed a little bit.

If Risbin goes from 20kB/s to 600 kB/s there was something badly misconfigured. It would be interesting to see what caused the slowdown.

First of all let me say: GREAT GUIDE. I went from 40kb down to 500kb. I think this guide helps most of all the really fast connections.

Now my question: I have a really really fast connection , I don't know the exact values because I am connected to larger VPN that is connected more or less directly to a big backbone. I currently have used the script to generate value for a upload/download of 5000kb/sec or 40mbit.

I am just wondering if I should modify something because using such high values in your formulas generates very very high numbers . Are those still "optimal"?

I am currently downloadig at 500kb/sec and uploading at 1mb/sec . While 500kb/sec is in no way bad , I am just wondering if there is something more I can get considering my maximum speeds.

It's all about the seeds and peers. Try a fast torrent, like OpenOffice.org. While I doubt it'll max out your download speed (and even if it could, you'd probably finish before it gets there), you'll probably be able to see whether your settings are doing well. In my opinion (as you said yourself), 500KiB/s is an excellent speed, but that's coming from someone who has a 625KiB/s max download speed... ;P

MakeMyDay: thanks. :) As Ultima said, it all depends on the amount of peers/seeds. If you think you're not getting the most out of your connection, feel free to modify your numbers, after all, they're customizeable for a reason. The mini-guide is just a "guide" to help you in the right direction... ;)

Archived