[DON'T USE] Mini-guide to help all of you with your speed problems...

1c3d0g

^.^ 100->120 kb/s phew, but why it ussually disconnect when i download ? and have event 20159 and auto reconnect (i set it) but i dont like this

"MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS VALUE IS LOWER THAN THE VALUE YOU SET IN TCPIP.SYS!"

wat is "TCPIP.SYS" where can i find it and how to set it ?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 questions:

1) How do I check that tcpip.sys is still patched? When I downloaded the .zip file from lvllord, I just opened that one file (tcpip.sys) without saving it to disk.

2) When I installed the patch, I vaguely remember a message saying that some functions might not work properly because of the change in file names. Is there a way to revert to the original file names without undoing the patch's work (so that I can preclude any problems)?

hi,

i've tried ur mini guide, and it has not had any significant improvement on my download or upload speed. non the less the guid was very informative. It has answered a lot of questions which i have had about the setting.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

I need some expertism here, hmm i have followed the guide i have 8mbit down and 1mbit up.

But still i can't upload more then 100kb/s, what could possibly be wrong? thanks in advance

Your max upload speed for a 1 Megabit connection would be 1/8 = .125 aka 125KB/s. Also considering TCP/IP overhead, you won't see 125KB. 100KB/s is very good for a 1 Megabit upload.

Hi, I did what was mentioned earlier. But I've got this question. Is it normal for a file, that has only 8 seeds, and 5 peers, to have 9.1 kB/s (download) and 19 kB/s (upload)? I have DSL with upload 256 kb/s and download 1500kb/s. Normally I don't have this issue where the upload is so much higher than the download. Can you help me how to make my download faster than my upload? perhaps i should also mention it has a red arrow, but it's still downloading.

Sounds to me your TCPIP.SYS needs to be patched.

It is so true - slow down the connection to speed it up. Scenario: Symmetric 512/512 DSL. Torrent with only 3-4 others. Small piece size (64k). Slow swarm average (5-10K bytes/sec). Others in the torrent most likely ADSL instead of DSL. Problem: My uTorrent sends out the pieces so quickly there isn't enough time for other torrents to respond. In response to my piece they send a bit of a piece back very fast, then go to very slow speeds (0.1K/sec) because they think they are not getting any data back. Solution: Slow down my upload rate to the swarm average. This keeps the connection to others long enough that they keep sending. Comments: I wonder if this adjustment of upload speed could be made dynamic and automatic? Or, perhaps introduce a "memory" - eg I have just got a piece from you and for the next few minutes I'll remember that and weight my uploading to you accordingly. This memory would fade over a few minutes.

BIIIGGGG thanks to the Icedawg and other crew who participated in this thread. I've been using UT for about 3 months now and after reading this thread today I sped up my downloads and stopped UT from freezing when I removed/deleted torrents. Very nice.

Anyhow, I set the download rate to unlimited, downloaded OOo for a test and got a rate around 700-800kB/s with a peak at 890kB/s!!!!!!! That's out of control, now when I select 3 to 5 reasonably seeded torrents I still consistently land in the 250-300kB/s range. Fantastic. I've got my max upload levels up to 96kB/s, any higher cuts into my download speeds.

I don't think I've got the settings perfect yet, my speed test results where everywhere so I'll continue to fuddle tomorrow, especially now I've stopped screwing up confusing kB/s with kbps.

Jerry

Anyone got any idea..

When i try to patch TCPIP.SYS using the patcher i get..

The following files could not be renamed:

- \I386\tcpip.sy_

Please rename these file manually.

The patcher will now abort ...

Patch aborted ...

I'm running XP home edition

Version 2002

SP 2

Is it because of home edition? my old system was Pro edition and i had no probs patching that...

Any help would be more than welcome...thanks.

I am new to this and not sure how fast this is supposed to be. However, I have been trying to download for hours now. I am not sure what the problem is. I know i have correctly forwarded my port and got the green light. Please advise me as to what i should do.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Wow your guide is the most helpful so far out of all that I have read. Right now my only confusion, and this is mainly because I am stubborn, is how many upload slots per torrent. I wonder if its better for the health of a torrent to give a smaller group 5 each or is it better to give a larger group 1 each... so this is just an opinion thing I am guessing.

Also, I run two seeds at a time.

I have issues when I simultaneously run a seed with many peers and many seeders + a seed with only me seeding and a few peers. The seed that has more traffic always seems to get the bandwidth and the one where I am the only seeder, will get 1 if anything and its in a very broken pattern that makes me feel bad and want to stop the other seed until they fill their goal.

I have yet to try seeding one at a time though.

once again, thank you so much for the guide.

MR

• 2 weeks later...

ok i followed the speed guide step by step including tcp/ip optimizer, i patched the tcpip.sys file to 1043 (yes i know its high but thats my upload speed in kb/s that i could from an online speed test) i used the script program to calculate all the neccessary values i needed too. I have better download speeds and upload speeds but my green light changed to a yellow triangle and i have no idea why, my downloads are still working but it says i have no incomming connections, what is wrong?

Attention: MaV has created a very cool script that automagically calculates values from this mini-guide, so it's even easier than before to get your optimized settings. If you follow the script route, you can ignore the rest of the text below.

The script is not working. It just gives a blank browser page.

Archived