[DON'T USE] Mini-guide to help all of you with your speed problems...

1c3d0g

As for the 10 bit = a byte I'll leave that alone even though its 8.

For what it's worth, although 8 bits equals 1 byte...it may take about 10 bits of bandwidth to transmit 1 byte of data.

Communication overheads are what cuts into all broadband connections maximums. TCP is probably not the most efficient since it has both error correction and prevention in it. But accuracy is wanted over efficiency so it's the way to go.

I've seen estimates that put somewhere between 10-25% of all bandwidth on broadband connections is just for the overheads.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skateoholic: that reponse was meant @ abbad0n, not to you. :P

Jon:

Should not be telling people to upgrade their bios here in this forum as it's not a tech site or guide and jack and jill will be quite mad if they destroy their computer.

Your first concern I believe I clearly addressed in the mini-guide. :) So I'll just quote myself:

The advice I give here is completely free, so I'm not responsible if your PC goes up in smoke or suddenly turns into a Terminator and decides to slap you back. You've been warned...

As for your second point:

Yea it could possibly shorten the life of the component, but again doesn't really have anything to do with µtorrent, and if you are an overclocker and know what your doing you already know the risk and how to test for stability etc... More and more new middle of the road hardware is the same thing as the top of the line model, it's just been crippled. for example my Athlon XP 1700 is a crippled Athlon XP2500, and I've been running it as an Athlon XP 2600 for more then 2 years and in another year I'll replace it. So the fact that I might have shortend it's 20 year lifespan by a year or 2 doesn't matter, it will be old and slow junk long before it wears out. I've been overclocking since before it was call overclocking and I've never wore out (electro-migration) a cpu/videocard/motherboard, but I have had 2 bios flashes fail and I've been doing this professionally for 16 years.

Although I respect your opinion on overclocking and your extensive knowledge and experience in this field very much, you know better than I do that most n00bies will overclock things just for the sake of it, without really knowing what they're doing and/or how to stabilize things the right way. BitTorrenting stresses a lot of components, and it's because of this, there's a chance that they could experience some stability issues which will (of course) be blamed on µTorrent, while that is not the case. This is why I suggest setting everything back to default speeds to rule out possible instabilities. But for those of you who know how to overclock their PC properly this obviously doesn't apply to you. :)

By default windows ME 2000 and XP uses dma and if it not using it there is larger problem and either need to replace the machine 4+ years old running out of date hardware and software (win98/ME), or they have a problem that they will probably need to get a tech to repair. And again this really doesn't have anything to with helping with download speed problems.

Like I said in the mini-guide, DMA can be reverted by Windows back to PIO mode if it detects more than a certain amount of failures...most of the time without the user even knowing why their speeds suddenly crashed to a halt (a hard disk operating in PIO mode will most definitely impact someone's download speeds if those speeds are fast enough, especially if their CPU power is on the lower end of the scale). So on the contrary, I do believe that enabling DMA can have a very positive impact on people's download speeds. I hope you understand what I mean. :)

Switeck: that's what I was trying to say. Thanks for putting it clearly. :)

@Ic3d0g:

If Windows itself disabled DMA, you probably won't be able to put back as DMA through the device manager interface. What you need to do is right click on your affected IDE channels, click Uninstall, go through the confirmation dialog, and reboot. What Windows will do at boot-time is re-enumerate the hard drives on the IDE channel, effectively resetting Windows' internal counter of CRC fails.

Thank your for the brilliant guide 1c3dog! The second half made a lot of sense to me and proved very helpful. I'm now downloading at a rate appropriate for my connection speed. Unfortunately, the first half of your guide made me want to stick my head in the oven. lol

Along with PortForward.com, your guide really helped me to figure out how to optimize uTorrent.

*though I must say it takes a lot of faith on my part to keep my 'max connected peers per torrent' setting so low at 35 (my connection is around 1220kbs downloading / 150kbs uploading)

This is great stuff! Thanks.

I have one question, though. Based on your recommendation for the TCPIP patch. I entered 384 which is my upload speed. The patch gave me a warning not to go over 100 and that "worms will spread very fast." Do I need to lower it, and is this something I need to worry about? If I need to change it, what are your recommendations?

Thanks.

The warning only applies to people who don't know what they're doing (for instance, if unknowledgeable people get infected with a worm, the rate of spreading would be increased). :P Fortunately, we BitTorrent users do know what we're doing and why we're doing it...so in this case, don't worry about it. :) You can safely patch it to 384, let it check the patched file for any errors and when that's done, your can restart your PC. Then you can set net.max_halfopen to half of it (192) and Bob's your uncle. :D

Thanks. I have noticed a real boost in the d/l speed in addition to seeing the upload under control. Like most n00bs I was letting micro-torrent run itself, but I am curious person and I would prefer being in control of what I am doing.

The guide is really good and very useful, and also some of the web-sites you all post have been a great help, too.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to write and post this mini-guide on speed problems. I followed it closely and my speed problems no longer exist. I just started to download torrents about three weeks ago so this is all new to me but your "mini-guide" was all the help in the world. I dont know alot about computers, when I think I do I realize I dont know anything at all, so It says alot about your guide that I was able to follow it to solve my speed problems. I cant thank you enough for your help! Awesome! thank you thank you thank you. I never thought my up/down load speeds would go beyond the single digit speeds they were at. Now I am peak downloading near 100kB/s. THANKS!

Archived