[DON'T USE] Mini-guide to help all of you with your speed problems...

1c3d0g

Now, that i remember it i have seen a "UPnP(XXXX)" (XXXX=port number) when using ut v3. Does that indicate the the n/w was setup correctly?

Because then i did enable UPnP on the router and windows AND utorrent on another machine (which i dont have any more) it seemed to have setup correctly (did it?). Also turning on UPnP seemed to have correctly set the port forwarding both on my router and windows firewall.

As for my cable modem, it has nothing but my ISPs name written on it (with a Mac address). No luck with that.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

hi everybody! :D im using utorrent a couple days now... befoure that i used azureus...

now i am asking here becouse iv followed everythyng from 1st post!

i have cable modem with 256/64 connection, xp media centar sp 2, no firewall(not even os firewall, only avast home edition... it works fine...) etc...

so there writes that i should have "maximum number of connected peers per torrent" same as my upload speed devided with 8! so thats 8! but then im conn. to 1(maybe 2) seeds, and rest and peers... and down speed is in between 0 an 2 kB... but when i put "max num of conn peers per torr." to 50 then speed is average around 10 kB.. :(

i simple cant get max download speed! iv puted max down speed 21kBps... is there something more i should do or its simple luck or no luck to get connected to right ppl(ones with high up speed)? :((

anything will help! thnx :D

And if you keep getting bad download speeds, you ought to try Encryption. µTorrent doesn't have a large presence yet, but with Azureus supporting the same Encryption scheme, you should be able to get better speeds once both clients have stabilized. :)

Your problem is that you have a severely choked upload connection. A 64 kb/s upload doesn't allow you to receive much download. :/ Also, your speeds depend on the torrent. How many seeds and peers do you see? On a "good" torrent, you should download about twice your upload speed, in your case ~12 kB/s. But that's very rare, so on most torrents ~6 kB/s is more typical. :(

@firon

well no.. :(( yes there is net ok :))

@1c3d0g

but explain this: i downloaded a movie(700 MB) for one night! thats like 7 or 8 hours!!! so that was vary fast! :)

maybe my problem is that there are so many peers... its like 700 peers and 70 seeds...

can u guys find me some torrent thats good? i mean where i could test my speed?

also i am planing to tako 512kbps DL with 128kbps UL! i think that would solve all my problems! :D

Now you know it's not your ISP. You have very, very limited upload bandwidth, and realistically you won't maximize your downloads every time. :/

Edit: OpenOffice.org is just a test torrent, but you can install and use it like M$ Office (if you want). :)

I have 128 kb/s upload, and realistically the most you'll get from it is 11 kB/s upload. You'll almost never reach your maximum download speed unless you're on an extremely fast torrent, and most public torrents aren't well-seeded. But sure, it would definitely be an improvement over your current 64 kb/s. :)

Scuse me while I pop in a minute. :)

The part about DMA caught my eye as someone that really knew more than the average idiot "tech support"-kinda guy. It's really nice that you know about DMA and whatnot... most people think their computer is just completely slow when they just have some bad settings.

I've taken it a step further, though, and a long time ago when my HDD controller driver was acting up, Windows would always revert the drive to Multi-Word DMA Mode 1 or something like that. I searched long and hard all across the Internets and found a solution.

There's a registry key that Windows reads whenever a mode change is requested, that limits the maximum speed for a controller or device. When you set the mode to PIO Only then back to DMA If Available, the "If Available" is read from the registry, then from the drive itself. If the registry says you can only do slow DMA, that'll be all you can do.

Before performing this, be sure you have WORKING CABLES. Bad cables are a prime cause of hard drive problems and corruption - those tiny wires in the 80-conductor cables go bad on a regular basis - I had a whole box full of bad IDE cables. It's a serious problem. :P

So here's a little snippet from my extremely popular, but not yet publicized "Tools Folder".

http://www.hostfile.org/FixDMA.rar

Inside there is a registry file that writes ffffffff, the highest value (also the default) to the two typical locations for a drive controller in the registry. Because of different drive configurations, YMMV. After running this reg file, go to the device manager as noted in the guide, and instead of setting to DMA If Available, set to PIO. Click OK, go back to the properties and select DMA again. Now Windows will (on the fly most of the time) set the transfer mode to the highest supported speed.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002]"MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]"MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff

Simple as that.

It'll really help when you're running a LAN torrent!

Archived