can't port forward becasue of VOIP

senorkasio

Hi, I was getting awesome download speeds until I connected my VOIP phone. Now it seems impossible to forward my port and speeds peak at about 50kps total. Anyone find a work around ? Does it help to change QoS settings ? I heard that connecting an internet hub or switch can take care of the problem too...

SrK

---

Router: D-Link DIR-655, firm 1.11

ISP: Cable internet (CIA/3Web)

Modem: Motorolla Surfboard SB5120

Voip: Linksys SPA2102

Desktop: AMD X2, 2g RAM

Utorrent 1.7.7

How is the VOIP phone connected? Modem > Phone > Computer? If that's the case, you need to forward in it: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/SPA-2102/Utorrent.htm

A router in front of it might help, if forwarding doesn't work, try bypassing VoIP router for confirmation. If it still doesn't work, screenshot of the VoIP's WAN and LAN settings areas.

Hey thanks for the advice... I tried forwarding Linksys SPA2102 but it didn't work. Static address is 192.168.0.191. Linksys only allows for 192.168.1.XXX.

Configuration is Cable Modem > VOIP > D-Link Router > Computer. If I take the Voip (SAP2102) out of the mix, the port forwards perfectly. It's the voip phone that seems to be messing things up.

Look for and set bridge mode on the D-Link, then forward in the VoIP router to your computer. If you can't, forward from the VoIP router to the D-Link, then the D-Link to your computer. You'll need to check the D-Links "Internet"/"WAN" IP address.

• 1 year later...

I had this same problem and figured it out. Basically, the VoIP box is a router, and it is assigning an IP to your LAN router (D-Link, Linksys, etc.). What I had to do was log in to my LAN router (the Linksys, D-Link etc.) and look at the

default gateway IP address. That is the IP address of the VoIP router. Then look at the IP address of the router itself, and that is the IP address the VoIP is assigning the LAN router.

Then, login to the VoIP router. I did it the same way I login to any other router- type the IP address into a browser, the password screen comes up, I typed in no username and used the typical default password of "admin" and BINGO, I was into the VoIP router.

I then went to the area that allowed me to forward ports on the VoIP router (for my VoIP it was under "Applications and Gaming.) I then forwarded all necessary ports to the IP address it had assigned my LAN router (in this case 192.168.29.100). I didn't change anything on my LAN router, just the VoIP router.

After I did that, the VoIP router rebooted and after it came online all my uTorrent speeds blasted off again, and I got green network indicators.

I hope this helps and that you can follow it. Feel free to email with any other questions.

PS - The configuration stayed the same as well: Modem-->VoIP-->LAN.

Archived