Torrents Kill Wireless Adapters?

Number1SuperGuy

So far I've killed 2 wireless adapters and the only thing I can think to blame is torrents. Now, I know wireless and torrents just don't mix well but my question is, is it really possible for torrents to kill wireless adapters?

When I say it kills the adapters I mean after a while they only hold their connection to the router. For a while they only disconnected while I was connected to too many peers, and eventually the adapters would stop working even when I wasn't downloading torrents, like if I was streaming a YouTube video.

Anyways, I just bought a brand new wireless adapter and I'd like to be able to download torrents with it but I just don't want to try it if downloading torrents really is killing my adapters.

Thanks for the info!

They can't die permanently, unless they're overheating or their firmware gets corrupted, neither of which can really be caused by torrenting.

Now what CAN kill them is faulty USB ports, which I've seen more than enough times.

One that died was a PCI wireless N card (Encore ENWLI-N model). It was kind of cheap, but that still rules out the faulty USB idea. The other one was a USB adapter, some average Netgear wireless G adapter, one of the really popular ones. Both worked just fine until I started downloading torrents. Then they slowly got worse and worse, losing their connection more and more often without even downloading torrents. I tried reinstalling the drivers, and updating the firmware, all that jazz to no avail.

The one I have now is a Belkin N USB adapter. It cost me $70 so I'd REALLY like to know if you're basing the above statement on fact or assumption. No offense, I've just flushed a lot of money down the toilet on wireless adapters and I'd like an "I'm absolutely positive" more than an "I'm fairly certain" if you see where I'm coming from.

Thanks for the help thus far ;)

I've tried that, gone through 3 or 4 wireless routers suspecting that they might be the problem. Every time the problems persisted. The router I have now is an Ultra Linksys N router, It's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. Plus my new adapter is having zero issues with it while the "killed" adapters disconnect any time I download or stream big files.

So does that mean you're not sure about torrents killing adapters? I mean, I suppose it's possible that my other adapters were lemons, not to mention Netgear adapters have a crappy reputation and the Encore brand is el cheapo grande...

Not unsure at all: top three reasons for trouble are: drivers, software, hardware... if it was an innate problem with uT everyone using the program would have problems. Be sure the adapters don't have updated drivers. Be sure the drivers don't have compatibility problems with your OS. Be sure you're not using any software which could interfere with normal internet operation. Be sure you're isolating one hardware piece at a time to troubleshoot.

Archived