Speed vs Multiple Downloads.

Dalmation

Re. uTorrent ver. 1.7.7 build 8179

Before wading through 199 (currently) pages in this forum category I'll post this question.

My setup is basically a laptop with WiFi B/G through a Linksys wireless router, to an ISP max D/L = 1.5Mbps (ADSL).

So using the Ctrl.G Speed Guide I don't know to set the connection Type at xx/1Mbit or xx/2Mbit ?

My point is if I have a single D/L running I can achieve a hight rate in the 10's of KB/s and short ETA of xx minutes.

But if I start multiple D/L's this rate drops to just a dribble and ETA blows out to hours,days,weeks !

Is the reason simply because uTorrent is multiplexing more torrents over one link or ... ?

Mike.

If that's the case you don't have 1.5Mbit download either... and/or you're among the majority of ozzie userbase who are on crippled lines with among other things low quotas.

To start, try xx/192 in the Speed Guide. After that, check out the troubleshooting guide, which I link to below as Read Me. Post #2 covers things you can/should disable being that you're on a quota'd line. If your ISP also manages the connection based upon # of connections or half-open check out the guide's suggestions for that. You may need to lower your per-torrent numbers to below 20 even if you plan to try and download > 1 torent at your speeds. Trying to keep 3 KiBps/peer is wise when thinking about your long-term speeds. So divide 192 by 8 to get KiBps (8 b in 1 B)... to get 24 KiB as your theoretical maximum means a total of 8 slots among ALL your torrents.

You should also check to see if you can even sustain 24 KiBps ... I don't know off-hand by try some local swarms.... common ozzie culture should guide you to relevant content ;)

Archived