Moving files to external drive-I have screwed something up

remoteplayer

I have put my files on an external drive. Below should give a hint of what I am having trouble with. I HAVE read the guide and searched the forum. I have become confused and am at a loss what I should do.

th_dfw001.jpg

th_dfw002a.jpg

As I understand it the first directory is where a downloaded file goes as it is being downloaded and the second directory is where a completed is moved by utorrent after it has downloaded your file.

th_dfw002.jpg

The next two directories are pretty much the same thing except that it is where the torrent files are stored when they are working and then moved to when they are finished downloading, seeding, etc.

th_dfw003-1.jpg

I created the same file structure on my external drive that I had on the computer I was using to torrent with. I then changed the "c" to "d" in the program.

I then moved my files and torrent files over to the same directories on the D drive.

The program didn't recognize everything so I moved files and tried to tell the prog to recheck all the torrents. It seems to have rechecked some but not all of the torrent files. It seems like it is checking the files on the disk for the ones it rechecks successfully and the ones that are not successful I believe it is trying to download the file from the net.All my files are in "new downloads" where I put them and did not move over to the "completed downloads" directory like I thought they should. All my torrent files are in the "torrent done" file.

I think I need to move torrents that did not recheck to "torrentstore" and recheck them but I am as lost as Will Robinson so I am stopping and asking others that know more than me for assistance.

Get Bencoded File Editor, from my signature. Read the help docs and preferrably any post by Ultima in the thread. Changes you made to the folders are not retroactive :/

You NEED to change the path in RESUME.dat to match your CURRENT structure. Since you already tried to recheck all, I would suggst turning off the computer, temporarily putting that drive INTERNALLY (if possible)... it can speed up checking 2-300% (even the fastest Firewire800 doesn't compare to SATA II throughput).

file\open\>>>utorrent.exe gives an error msg.

Absolutely no file other than utorrent.exe is in %apppath% utorrent directory, no dat, no log, no txt

I have also installed the latest ver and moved files around. I guess a reformat is due and take it to the computer repair guy and just tell him that I want utorrent to work. there was a xxxxx.dmp in %/utorrent but I deleted that when I upgraded

Yes, you are correct. My mistake. I am not a computer science major, just a user and I believe that utorrent may make somepeople happy but it has only wasted my time. It would be a great program for someone that thinks of computers as a rubiks cube. I am going to beat this thing but it really, like most anything to do with computers is not an ignorant USER friendly app. The learning curve has been massive even thought I have read and tried my best to understand all the info on this forum and in the manual.

Edit: I found the file, opened it with the editor and quit. Not messing with that. I know what a hex editor is, used one once, never wish to experience that torture again.

I was just trying to demonstrate that to edit that file with the editor would be about as smart as me using a hex editor, or to put it another way I would rather play with an unloaded gun then edit files when I am not comfortable doing that. Esp when I am so frustrated.

What I have done is to delete the torrents and data files of the files that would not up date. Some did, some didn't. I will redownload the files I need and just screw the ones that I wanted to keep. Of course this will mess up my ratios on my private trackers and public but the hell with public trackers, right?

It wouldn't have been that difficult to perform the change with Find/Replace anyhow... And it certainly doesn't require that much knowledge to use (though I guess for those unfamiliar with resume.dat, it could require a slight bit of guidance). You might not need these instructions anymore, but I'll post anyway...

0. Backup resume.dat

1. Load resume.dat in BEncode Editor

2. Remove the .fileguard key

3. Edit > Replace... (or just Ctrl + H)

4. Replace by "Key" (not "Key or Value")

5. In the Value field, input the old base path (C:\ for example)

6. In the Replace field, input the new base path (D:\ for example)

7. Replace All

Editing resume.dat with this editor is a far cry from editing it with some hex editor. There's very little chance you can screw anything up with BEncode Editor unless you decide to go ahead and just mess around by giving it useless/nonexistent paths, or just edit/remove items willy-nilly without a thought.

On the other hand, if you manually edit the file with some hex editor, even removing a single character without changing anything else will almost undoubtedly corrupt the entire file.

Question, Checking, Put new downloads in : F:\path\to\new\downloads will put active downloads in that file? 1) Yes or No

Question, Checking, Move completed downloads to: F:\path\to\completed\downloads will move the downloads to the file listed WHEN they are complete? 2) Yes or NO

Question, Checking, "Only move from the default download directory" means that utorrent will only move files when they complete from the default download directory to the completed directory. 3) Yes or No In this example F:\path\to\new\downloads will be the default download directory. 4) Yes or No

I have made a copy of resume.dat.old and attempted to edit it using the instructions.

0. Backup resume.dat

1. Load resume.dat in BEncode Editor

2. Remove the .fileguard key

3. Edit > Replace... (or just Ctrl + H)

4. Replace by "Key" (not "Key or Value")

5. In the Value field, input the old base path (C:\ for example)

6. In the Replace field, input the new base path (D:\ for example)

7. Replace All

Below are my results after I saved the changed file.

O-described above

1-dropped my copied .dat file onto the editor

2-I highlighted the whole fileguard line and deleted the whole line.

3-per instructions

4-changed the drop down that said "Key or Value"

5-I put "path" in the value field (I believe this was a mistake)

6-I put "F:\path\to\completed\downloads" and did find next, replace, find next, replace etc. This seems to have changed my target line from path(B)[67]=bad\file\path to F:\path\to\completed\downloads (B)[82]=the old path\torrent name Apparently I told it the wrong thing to replace with the wrong info I wanted replaced.

7-never got to this step. I saved the dat file and then looked at my handy work.

?????

At #3 what should be highlighted, anything? should I open each entry with a + and go through each one.

Also some of my torrents are in folders with extra junk in them that I do not want to be casting into the net. Do I need to make adjustments to the path or will the folder name be the same as a file name. Example H:\filepath vs H:\filepath\familyconcert which would contain the file familyconcert.mp3

Another question, after looking through the .dat file I believe that it would be a real real good idea not to ever send someone one of your torrents but to send them the url instead. Correct?

1) "Put new downloads in" causes newly-added torrents to be placed in that folder, not old, previously-added torrents.

2) "Move completed downloads" will cause µTorrent to move the torrents to that directory when they finish downloading.

3) & 4) Yes, that option will only cause torrents to move if and only if the torrent was being downloaded to the default download directory (specified by "Put new downloads in"). Torrents being downloaded elsewhere will not be moved if this option is enabled.

As for the BEncode Editor stuff...

For step 3, just highlight the [ ROOT ] key. You don't have to worry about expanding the trees. Replace All will do the work for you.

I kinda just realized I may have given you incomplete (and possible incorrect). Sorry! Luckily for you, you backed up your resume.dat file, so no worries! xD Get the most recent build of BEncode Editor from here. It has a feature that helps you isolate replaces to certain keys. In your case, you want to replace values in the path keys only, so without further ado...

1. Make a new copy of resume.dat from the backed up one and edit that in BEncode Editor.

2. Again, remove .fileguard

2. Highlight the [ ROOT ] key (though it doesn't really matter -- it should already be highlighted by default)

3. Edit > Replace...

4. Where it says "Key and Value", change it to "Value by Key"

5. The inputbox to the right of that dropdown selection should now be ungrayed... type path in there

6. In the Value field, put E:\old\path (or whatever part of the path you want to replace)

7. In the Replace field, put F:\new\path (or whatever you want to replace the old path by)

8. Replace All

That should change all of the old download paths to the new path (assuming you have retained the old directory structure).

I have changed all the file locations for my torrents using the editor 6.0 version. I have not renamed the resume file or replaced it in my %%/utorrent directory. I will do when I figure my next problem out.

In all of my file moving and other stuff I seem to be storing as many files in my completed downloads directory as I in the new downloads (still downloading files) directory. I have now changed all the paths for them in the resume file to completed. So I plan to move all my files to the completed dir. I only have one file that is actively downloading so it will remain in the new downloads dir and I will reedit the resume file to reflect this. Does that seem like I understand the process or am I making an error?

Concurred. Your layout seems fine. The main hurdle is being SURE the pathing is correct according to the current drive letters. The main benefit to editing the resume versus putting it in using the menu.. you get to skip the rechecking. Double check the path is correct for each of the data locations. All the torrent locations (directly below [ROOT] in the treeview) should all be the same, but they don't NEED to be.. as long as uT knows where to look, you're good to go.

OK guys looks like everything is running fine now. Edit went on with out a hitch and I am dl/ul with out any problems.

I want to thank everyone that has assisted me and put up with my frustrated ass. I do have some suggestions but will put them in the proper thread.

Archived