Pieces lying across file boundaries failing re-checks

jgg5

I'm running 1.8 under Windows XP, and I moved my torrent files and torrent content to directories on a different drive. The move basically worked correctly except for the following issue.

In some of my multifile torrents, a piece that spans the beginning of one file and the end of another file failed a forced re-check. Thus, I was left with two of the files in the torrent 99+% complete rather than the 100% that they were before being moved.

Is this a known issue, and is there a workaround?

Thanks for the replies.

I guess you must be right about something having corrupted the files, though all I did was use Windows to copy the files from one drive to another. Does Windows XP perform any kind of check (hash code or bit-wise file compare) after copying files? Or is that hoping for too much robustness from a Microsoft OS?

I had thought it was strange that this problem was arising specifically in pieces of the torrent content that span a file boundary. But now that I think about it, if I understand the issue correctly, it would take just a single error at the end of one file or at the beginning of the next to corrupt the entire piece that spans the file boundary, thereby causing both files to come up short during a re-check.

Archived