Limiting DOWNLOAD speed affects upload?

Skychaser

I have a speed-issue that boggles me. If I limit the DOWNLOAD speed on a torrent, the upload speed drops too, to roughly 50% of what it was before, when download was set to unlimited. If I do this on a per-torrent basis, only the upload for that torrent drops, if I do it globally the total uploadspeed goes down.

Example. With both upload and download unlimited, I download at some 250 kB/s (which is my max) and upload at 350-400kB/s. When I limit the download to 200kB/s, to have some bandwidth available for browsing, the upload goes down to about 200kB/s too.

If it were the opposite (limit upload drops download), that'd make sense to me, but this... Any idea anyone? Some sneaky advanced setting I overlooked?

Symmetric fiber ?

Limiting download shouldn't affect upload... What happens when you use the Scheduler in Seed-Only mode?

If you're trying to limit download, limit connections per torrent MORE. It will divide (theoretical download / connections) to give a set rate of download for the peers.. which COULD be what triggers uT into thinking it should slow uploading.

Known issue. µTorrent has no way to control its download rates accurately because it has no direct way to control how fast other peers decide to upload to it. At best, it can choke other peers in an attempt to get them to reciprocate less (which is what's probably happening here).

Archived