user mapped-section open???

crutchfiea1

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm back after testing previous versions and due to a security risk I'v decided to try the beta version and disabling diskio.sparse_files.

No good, getting the same error, after two days without any error using 1.7.5 and 1.7.7, neither the current version nor the beta and disabling diskio.sparse_files works for me. Something has changed since 1.8.x that causes this error for me.

p.s IMHO, asking for a swift responce due to a security risk and getting one after three minuets calls for thanks, no need for implying a subtle mock.

Leave diskio.sparse_files off. For the torrents that are spitting the error, stop them, make a copy of the files, overwrite the original copies, then force a recheck on the file and start. Any change?

Edit: Try unchecking Preferences > Advanced > Disk Cache > Disable Windows caching of disk writes... Does this help? Also, please tell us what antivirus software you're using.

I'm also running ESET smart security 3.0.669.0, which I believe is the exact same thing as NOD32. I'm sure NOD32 ESET Smart Security is the whole name. So maybe it's a problem with NOD32? Maybe the other people who are having this problem can also report what anti virus they are using so we can narrow down this issue.

Indeed, if 1.6.1 is also causing the issue, then that rules out the possibility that this is 1.8-specific. At worst, 1.8 may make the symptom more apparent (canary in the coal mine), but in the end, all this means is that there may be a more fundamental problem at work here. Removing NOD32 (temporarily -- and I stress, for testing purposes) should help us in narrowing the possibilities down.

Unfortunately, there isn't much information around regarding what this "user-mapped section" error pertains to, so we have to troubleshoot this one relatively slowly (think of ideas as we go).

Well I uninstalled NOD32 3.0.672 Business Edition and re-installed another release of NOD32, 3.0.672 again to be specific but not Business Edition, and I returned to utorrent 1.8.1 12024, too. Well the download that was "hit" by the error was completed successfully and another file that i'm downloading right now doesn't seem to have any problem! Maybe it's just luck, who knows...Anyway, i will report back if the error occurs again with that combination (NOD32 3.0.672 non-Business Edition + utorrent 1.8.1 12024)

PS: I'm not using Smart Security but the simple Antivirus...

I'm using ESET NOD32 antivirus combined with Aoutpost firewall, as I've mentioned before I get the error only with utorrent 1.8x stable or beta. I don't get the error with utorrent 1.7.5 and 1.7.7, running 1.7.7 for several days with no problem. I'll uninstall ESET just for a short test and reinstall utorrent 1.8 and get back to you.

Well, I'm happy to inform you that for several hours since uninstalling ESET anti virus and reinstalling utorrent latest beta version I havn't had a single error. I'm planning on installing AVIRA freeware antivirus (which is at least as good as eset with accordance to the latest comparison tests) and let it go till morning, hopefully no more errors of that kind.

@Ultima: I haven't had the problem and I'm using 1.7.5. on my desktop (no problems with 1.8 on my laptop, and I have ESET here too O.o)

So then it appears as if ESET is causing the problem here...well that's a shame, I liked this AV...

I wonder what the problem could be, it can't be the firewall because DimkoD said he ran ESET and used another firewall. Which means that it must be something else that ESET is doing. I think it's probably the real-time scanning that's screwing with utorrent.

Also, @Ultima again, it is pretty random. On a file I was downloading before it stopped at 14% or so. Following some advice given to me before, I defragmented my HDD did a force re-check on it, and it went all the way to 50% or something. Then I did a forced download, and it continued until 80% or so, and at this point defragmenting, force re-checking, and forced downloading did not work. Then I downloaded 1.7.5, force re-check, and the download continued without a problem and completed. Again, all this happened on my desktop, not laptop.

Here's a question for everyone with the problem, are you using SP3? My desktop just "updated" to SP3...Maybe it's a problem with SP3 and ESET? I hope this is something that can be fixed...

Ugh... Quite annoying. At least this has given us a lead, I suppose. Can you upload your settings.dat files as well? Maybe the devs can take a look to see if they can reproduce and work around the issue... or something :\

@DimkoD: Interestingly, I just installed Avira AntiVir last night to test :)

High all, last reply before I hit the sack, yes I do have SP3 installed.

@Ultima: It looks like the right AV for me, no more errors and no security risk.

BTW - from a well known tracker:

The allowed versions of clients are:

# µTorrent 1.6.1 ( Build 490 )

# µTorrent1.7.6 ( Build 7859 )

# µTorrent 1.7.7 (Build 8179 )

# µTorrent 1.8.0 Beta ( Last build )

I've copied only utorrent relevant.

Here are my settings.dat files as you requested Ultima. I also have the old settings.dat file, don't see how it could be of any use...but meh, its a 3 KB download so who cares.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vg9qu7dwbu5

EDIT: MOMENT OF TRUTH, I'M UPGRADING FROM SP2 ON MY LAPTOP RIGHT NOW. If the error begins to happen on the laptop, then we will know it is because of ESET and SP3 together creating an annoying force.

I'm sorry for posting on a different thread, I ment posting here, the problem started all over, replacing ESET with Avira seemed to be helpful but it lasted one week, I've reinstalled 1.7.7 cause I got no choice, the repeating error drives me crazy.

A funny thing happened though while I was going to install 1.7.7, I looked in the folder from which I've installed it last time and it's gone, went back to my main backup pulled it out copied it to the PC running utorrent, after successful installation I've noticed that the installer is gone again ?!?!

It felt like being in an episode off Mission Impossible, an installer with a self destruction mechanism ? Is it a part of a scheme to get rid of all the previous "unsupported" versions?

Just corrected a typo, was "read" ment to be "rid"

Archived