Utorrent app killing internet connection

Craptastic

I'm not exactly sure what happened but a few days ago I updated Utorrent (10853) and I noticed something odd with my internet connection when I was downloading. The downloads appeared to be fine but I couldn't surf the net, send emails, even ping a domain. After a little poking around I discovered that when I start the application without any download started the internet is fine. However Even with one download at 5k my internet slows to crawl. Even with the downloads stopped, if the application is still running after a download was started, the connection response still lags and I have to shut down the app and wait a few seconds. I have comcast internet on a gaming rig and have a health internet speed (test show it is 22MB / 2MB, but realistically dramatically less on real downloads). The thing is I was fine until a few days ago. I tried uninstalling utorrent, removing all the settings, and reinstalling a stable version, and the same thing happened. Then I started tweaking the settings (global connections and the such) but still the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

You may need "quieter" settings in uTorrent to keep from tripping ComCast's detect-and-cripple-BitTorrent-traffic hardware.

Either that, or you're simply overloading your computer, router, and/or modem with too-high settings in uTorrent.

Have you tried the 1st and 2nd links in my signature?

yeah I tried the the helpguides, that's how I found this forum. I've set my torrent specs way lower then in the guide and still ran in to problems so. Also these were the same setting that worked a few days earlier. So I called comcast to vent. They said a new policy went in to affect last week (time where I updated) and they gave me PR crap about them working with the torrent community to reshape their network or something to that affect. Damn those bandwidth Nazis. Have you happened to run across what other comcast users happen to be doing to circumvent this temporary barrier?

What settings are you trying to use?

Even the "minor" ones can be extremely important...so if you changed any advanced settings please tell us those too.

I am on ComCast as well. In my area, my upload speed max recently (last month or 2) increased from ~42 KiloBYTES/second recently to about ~125 KiloBYTES/second. However I see peers disconnect very quickly (<20 seconds often <3 seconds) from me while I am seeding...and almost never have more than 10 connections at once, often I only have 5 or fewer. Many times, despite my upload speed max being set to 120 KiloBYTES/second...upload speed bounces around somewhere between 30 and 90 KiloBYTES/second. And then other times, upload speed goes straight to max and sits there for hours.

I generally keep half open limit in uTorrent set to 0-4. When set to 0, I only get incoming connections and never make any outgoing ones. I have to block all incoming legacy connections or I usually quickly lose most/all other peers connected to me as well. I have DHT, LPD, UPnP, and Resolve IPs turned off...and probably would get worse results with them on, as it's more for ComCast to spot what I'm doing and cripple/block my connections.

I actually think there is a bug somewhere. I have two computers at home and often i can have utorrent running on both and browse and/or play online games at the same time. 100Mbit up and down even though real speed on swedish servers are more like 20-30 mbits. One of the computers crashed and was fixed and I installed the latest version of uTorrent. How surprising that internet browsing is dead when the other computer is working like normal. Whether I use it or not makes no difference for this computer. The one without problems is running XP and UT 1.7.6 while the one with problems is Vista 32-bits, latest stable version of UT. Speed guide have been followed.

I have never had trouble setting uTorrent up before. Is it possible that there is a conflict somewhere since we are some people having this problem.

(Internet is not working in either Mozilla or Iexplorer)

All connection issues are isolated to your specific settings... I made a list a while back of a progression you can use (I start farthest from me, but you can start at the other end as well) http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=300000#300000

Isolate the ISP (does it interfere with bittorrent traffic), isolate your modem, isolate your router, isolate your computer ...

The last step is a sticky one... involving being sure your drivers are up to date and that your programs didn't update themselves, or don't need to be made aware of uT.

Of note: 1.7.6 is the same as 1.7.7. Updating from your 1.7.6 to 1.7.7 and it will work exactly the same. The difference lies within your computer setups.

Your connection works the same in IE and FF and Saf etc... they're all browsers which rely on your physical connection. I would find it VERY hard to believe your internet works in any one browser but not another.

It's a Bug with Utorrent, Bit comet and Azreal torrent apps download the same torrents fine, but as soon as i start to use Utorrent, it trashes my connection. I cant do anything except download the 1 torrent thats active. cant even download multiple torrents. Something occurs that completely shuts out all other internet activities when utorrent is active and downloading. I have a laptop and 2 house pc's. Happens everytime. And again, the other torrent apps work fine. Please if you could look into it, utorrent is the app I prefer to use. Thanks...

XxGiOxX

fatfishjeff and 0megear,

If you list the uTorrent settings you're using and your measured max upload speed, then I can probably find a mismatch.

Also, you need to try the 1st link in my signature to rule out bad networking hardware and software problems. :(

Archived