Help with using Cell phone as modem

movieguyjoe

The only way I can connect to the net is by using my blackberry as a modem. It is supposed to have speeds up to 2mb. It works the rest of the net pretty fast but when it comes to utorrent the yellow light it on. I use alltel and I don't know if they block torrents or not. Sometimes randomly the green light does come on. I get dl speeds at 10k and randomly around 70k. Any help on getting faster speeds or configuring my stuff right would be greatly appreciated. Ive read the FAQ and the port forwarding guides but there are non for using my cell phone with alltel quicklink mobil.

Your upload is likely a tiny fraction of your download max. Overloading the upload side of your connection can cause serious problems with download speeds.

You're probably connecting to a WAN through a router you cannot port forward...so if UPnP in uTorrent doesn't work, then you're permanently firewalled.

Exactly. His configuration is probably working as well as can be expected.

If he selects the "Logger" tab and chooses "Log Errors" he'll probably see the exact same error messages I do with the identical configuration:

[21:44:18] NAT-PMP: Unable to map port with NAT-PMP.

[21:44:23] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.

Those are ... irrelevant. Even if you turn OFF UPnP and NAT-PMP your speeds won't improve due to most cellular networks being perma-private-NAT.

Only if your address (WAN) according to the device says outside 10.x , 172.16.x, or 192.168.x do you have a public IP. Also if it matches the external IP given at say http://canyouseeme.org there's a good chance you'll be able to forward... but only after you confirm you don't have a reserved private IP

Archived