Linksys WRT54G V.5 Router Problems

Wabolas

Hey guys, to start off I'm saying I did read that stickied post in this forum first before I posted. I have a Linksys WRT54G V.5 Router with the LATEST firmware (v.1.02.5).

I HAVE followed portforward.com's guide on how to port forward uTorrent perfectly (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/Utorrent.htm). I have also even gone as far as to allow DMZ on the router but uTorrent STILL says I don't have the ports forwarded (using port 45682). I have also forwarded ports 6881-6889. I have windows firewall turned OFF and even so I have all those previously mentioned ports on it's excepted list just incase. I do get the NVIDIA Firewall error when I start uTorrent, but I've already once tried shutting that one off to no avail (http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php?t17028.html I followed the instructions that you create a new notepad file and enter

{c:

cd %windir%\system32\wbem\

net stop winmgmt /y

ping -n 10 127.0.0.1

rmdir /s /q repository

rmdir /s /q Logs

mkdir Logs

net start winmgm

ping -n 10 127.0.0.1

exit}

and save that as a bat file and run it but that didn't work.

I have the uTorrent upnp port mapping turned off because I am forwarding through the router. Through ALL of this uTorrent's speed guide STILL says I don't have it forwarded. The TOP speed I have ever downloaded at on uTorrent is 50kb/s. Usually I get around 20. PLEASE HELP ME!

Easy way to check for NAT, go to the routers status page, what's the first half of your Internet IP address on that page?

Although from a half done Google search, it probably is: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12998125

If you can connect, and forward ports in it, set the WRT54G to bridge mode, it's an option in Connection Type under the setup page, then forward to your computers address (if you have to type addresses). If that doesn't forward correctly, you may need to set a static IPA first.

On the Linksys status page, use the Internet gateway to try and connect to the modem, which is actually a DSL router. See if it has port forwarding. Also, what are your current settings in the speed guide? (Ctrl + G).

Your ip maps out to Bell Canada (Sympatico)...so your ISP is probably just using rebranded Bell Canada ADSL lines...or passing through Bell Canada trunk lines.

This is bad because Bell Canada cripples BitTorrent speeds and probably breaks seed/peer connections.

This alone might explain your low overall speeds. :(

Well when I download a torrent my seeds and peers list looks like this:

Seeds Peers

0 (700) 0 (3000)

Does this mean that there are 700 seeders and 2300 other peers, but I'm not connected to ANY of them? How can this be possible?

"Does this mean that there are 700 seeders and 2300 other peers,"

Possibly, but probably not...the tracker records every peer and seed, often miscounting them and reporting considerably higher than there really is. The tracker also keeps peer/seed ips that have since disconnected.

"but I'm not connected to ANY of them?"

Yes, it seems you're not connected to ANY of them.

"How can this be possible?"

Many possible reasons, that's why troubleshooting isn't easy.

You've got a hostile ISP to connect through, so they may be blocking BitTorrent peers/seeds.

...Or your computer has more local issues, such as a software firewall that isn't giving uTorrent proper internet access.

Does the OpenOffice test torrent/s download at a reasonable rate of speed (over 100 KiloBYTES/second)?

Thanks for the reply, can you send me a link of a test torrent? Ive previously tried just disconnecting my router and going only through my modem before but that didn't seem to change anything. Although I tryed it today and now uTorrent says I have the port forwarded properly and I connect and download torrents every time I try while the router isn't in. Even with the router in, Ive gotten speeds of up to 50-60kb/s, but the top speed with the router out and apparently having the port forwarded properly is about 20-35kb/s. This doesn't seem at all right to me. Currently my seeds and peers look like this:

Seeds Peers

11(41) 43(289)

Yet I'm only downloading at around 20-35kb/s. I've heard alot about what to set your settings at in uTorrent based on your speeds and other things, but what settings should I set in the advanced tab and other tabs if I have a 2.5-3 megabyte connection with a 600-700kb/s upload rate?

Thanks for the constant help guys, really appreciated.

For 512 kilobits/second max upload speed:

Upload Limit: 47 KiloBYTES/second

Upload Slots: 4

Max Connections per torrent: 40

Max Connections (Global): 100

Max Active Torrents: 4

Max Active Downloading Torrents: 2

For 768 kilobits/second max upload speed:

Upload Limit: 72 KiloBYTES/second

Upload Slots: 5

Max Connections per torrent: 50

Max Connections (Global): 150

Max Active Torrents: 5

Max Active Downloading Torrents: 4

Thanks alot for that, it seems that if i unplug my router most of my problems go away, and I am tending to connect to really good peers. I really appreciate all the help guys, and at this point I can conclude that after the port forwarding/firewalling is done, most of the work has to come from connecting to good peers :P

Correct, even when you CAN connect to unfirewalled peers/seeds while firewalled...you likely connect to them FASTER if you're not firewalled because they can connect to you first.

When 70-90% of peers and seeds are firewalled (which is the case with many torrents), it's understandable that speeds are lacking if you're firewalled. :(

As far as I know, the SpeedStream Modem does not have a firewall. Its just a DSL modem. WRT54G v5 has UPnP. No need for port forwarding - the router will do it for you if you enable port mapping in µTorrent. If port forwarding does not work on your computer - I think you might have a firewall issue (something other than Windows Firewall) or you could possibly be blocking utorrent.com (via PeerGuardian, ProtoWall, etc). I have the exact same router here and it is working perfectly.

Archived