Help With Port Forwarding

guitarplaya

I'm having an issue with port forwarding. Just a week or so ago utorrent was running fine with the satisfying green checkmark at the bottom, but for some reason or other something happened and now I have the lovely warning sign saying that my port does not seem to be open. I tried doing it the same way as I did last time (except with a new random port), and followed the connection setup guide in full. However, this time it's just not working. If it helps, I'm on my own computer which uses a usb wireless adapter to connect to the Westell D90-327W15-06 in my living room, which is directly wired to the family computer. The only part of the utorrent guide that I did not follow was creating a static IP or whatever, and that is because the last time I did this I ignored that and got it working. Please help!

uTorrent work with dynamical IP.

Enter in the modem manager surely with IP 192.168.1.1 in your url bar of the browser.

Or use the software given by your ISP.

And create a rule for portforwarding:

eg: rule "uTorrent" port from "XXXXX" (>50000) to "XXXXX" (the same) protocol UDP & TCP, Local IP of your computer (check in networking icon taskbar) maybe 192.168.1.10 or 11 or 12.

Forwarding is a simple enough concept, but application depends on the software available in the router or modem, and whether or not you need to do it for >1 dvice or also in your software firewalls on your computer.

There are two ways to create a forwarded port.. UPnP/NAT-PMP aka atomatic.... and manual forwarding (procedure moogly said).

When manually forwarding, you need to tell the device your IP (start->run->cmd /k ipconfig) the port you're on, and to forward at least TCP (or TCP/UDP if available). Many devices have a set DHCP range and forwarding rules don't usually work within them, so choose an IP 200-250 for testing.

I am also having this same problem with utorrent. But mine only started Sunday or Monday. I have used utorrent for several years and never had this problem. All of a sudden it went yellow and several minutes later red. The only way I have been able to get it to go green is to forward using DMZ (all ports are forwarded). I know this is not good but if someone knows something else to do that would be great. I changed ports and none of them would work. Had no choice but to forward all of them.

sachlind

Port doesn't matter as long as it MATCHES your uT settings (Ctrl-G) and is in place for both WAN and LAN sides (input and output, or source and destination respectively).

DMZ is not an all-forwarded approach, it's a non-blocked approach. Slight differences aside, find out why your old forwarding rule failed. Is your IP the same now as it was before? Did your router implement some "application check"? Did you try removing and re-adding the rule for uT, on that different port?

The portforwarding is specific to a local IP (the IP of your computer seen by your modem), this one of your computer on the local network.

It the IP of your modem/ADSL box is dynamical, there is no problem, the rule of portforwarding will work fine.

Portforwarding is surely in menu 'LAN Server' or something like that.

To solve problem with random port, maybe you should desactivate the option: preferences>connection and dont select 'randomize port each time uT starts'

So the port for incoming connections defined in uT will stay statical and will be the same of this one of the portforwarding rule in your modem.

In addition, some modems create an automatic rule for portforwarding when uT specifies a statical one, maybe if you desactivate UnPP in your model, the problem should be solved.

Archived