Notice of Copyright Infringement from ISP

elomont

I just received an email from my ISP saying that Twentieth Century FOX Film Corporation has contacted them saying that I have downloaded a movie.

All my ISP is asking me to do is remove it and then call them to confirm that it has been removed, within 3 days of their sent email.

I'm just wondering what my best excuse should be when I call them?

Any pointers?

Tell your ISP that you got a questionable notice from an unknown source and you fear it originated from identity thieves or an extortion racket and you legally don't want to respond to them. This is a VERY big problem on the internet...and it's hard to tell the legit spam from the bad spam.

You can ignore all e-mailed corespondence. Legal proceedings require something "be served" at least in the U.S.

Not sarcasm, and you got the same kind of answer from the admin. My helpful answer: search, it's been brought up before. Something unique like "infringement" would give you immediate results.

Above I forgot to give a locale... as many are in the process of different levels of sanctions against people who engage in civil disobedience through siphoning "hard-earned monies" from aging and dilapidated corporations who can no longer stay afloat without alienating their main revenue stream... consumers.

I'm not joking, the company that originated the notice is at best only contracted by "Twentieth Century FOX Film Corporation"...or they may BE identity thieves and/or extortion racket!

A call to the ISP's help service, while it may be logged by the ISP, you can at least voice you got a questionable email. This is to possibly remove black marks against your account as far as your ISP is concerned, not to deal with the other end of the email.

Replying to the email itself...is very bad. Even and especially if you're completely innocent (such as the 'infringing network printer' in the other link), they'll still try to extort money from you.

Yeah either go with Switeck's idea.

Or ignore.

Or reply that you have no idea what they are talking about and that as far as you know you've never done anything illegal on the internet.

What you absolutely shouldn't do is admit you downloaded something illegal or blame your kid and confirm you deleted the material or anything like that. Your ISP has zero proof right now and can't (and won't) do anything. Don't give them any, not even hints.

While i'm not a torrent expert, I do know that this kind of thing, happens with Public Domain & Creative Commons as well. Companies have been known, to falsely identify a Public Domain work as still copyrighted; in hopes that the sharer/user does not know, & assume that most will not fight it.

But in truth, the torrent technology is not something, you'd want to download copyrighted stuff from. There are way too many fun, and cool things you can find to download legally; from torrents.

Good luck..

• 2 years later...

Archived