Getting past Comcast Sandvine

hermanm

For those of you using Comcast Cable Internet, there's a fix where you can filter RST packets on your end. This will restore your upload ability and seeding speeds. If you upload too much, you might get an abuse letter from Comcast.

http://redhatcat.blogspot.com/2007/09/beating-sandvine-on-windows-with-wipfw.html

Others report that RST packets have to be ignored on both ends of the connection. Also, some say non-Comcast connection do not receive the RST packet which would only require your connection to drop that packet.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19036168-Tests-and-ResultsRSTs-are-set-in-both-directions

I do not know who is right, but I can seed and do see faster upload speeds with WIPFW installed.

I'm not sure why you reply to threads when you're in a bad mood (and that seems to be often). My post is not an argument and I'm not looking to get into one with you.

Yes, I have Comcast Cable Internet. I'm getting faster speeds, but I have not tested for extended period of time.

...Instead of putting it in one thread, you bumped each thread you could find with that link ><

Response has nothing to do with mood. Heresay from heresay doesn't help anyone.... prime example could be that video guide people go to setup uT instead of the setup guide @ utorrent.com

Wouldn't you have rather included that information including the steps you took and your limited testing results instead of just spamming a link?

Indeed, Comcast sends RST packets to both ends of the connection. If you are filtering RST connections on your end, it might improve matters slightly, assuming at least some peers on the other end are also ignoring RST packets. In the end, that definitely isn't the optimal solution.

Hmmm, I guess that's not a great hack since the other end has to implement it too. I think having µTorrent requesting already completed pieces from someone we are seeding to makes the easiest sense. I figure instead of not being able to seed at all, we can waste some bandwidth and seed at the same time. Of course, this would be an advanced optional feature (default: off) for those suffering from Sandvine.

Archived