Redirecting DL adress on PC

JimB

I think I rather have to place this here among bugs instead of under troubleshooting.

I always have hugue problems fixing all DL adresses on my PC if I change the destination parh under Options > Settings > Other.

Everything gets screwed up allthough the new destination path exists, is correctly filled in, and I have transferred the complete content of all the folders into their respective new paths while the Utorrent client is closed.

Afterwards normally with a simple force recheck everything should be fixed, however that's not the case. I have to readjust the destiny of each and every torrent. I mean the destiny of the files for torrents in progress, and the new destiny of files for completed downloads.

In short I have to change those destinies again.

So is there a proper or easier way to do that ? I find this a bug if it can't be done easier.

Thanks for that link jewelisheaven

But I'm puzzled when DreadWingKnight writes

The behavior you describe is not a bug. Default download locations are not retroactive to already-loaded torrents, and are not supposed to be.

Well perhaps not in the real sence of the world bug, but I tend to call a serious malfunction or whatever name you'd like to give to that behaviour, a bug. But what I don't understand and you'd perhaps be kind enough to explain to me by "not supposed to be" ? Do you mean that one is not allowed or should not even consider to make any change in the download destination for the files of a torrent once it is set. I agree maybe this could be technically very difficult, so completely left out in the conception of utorrent. With all due respect but sorry, I find that a lame excuse. Do you even realise that some torrents take weeks/months to complete? And so during all that time one cannot change anything, unless following jewelisheaven's advice. Judging by the length of that thread not so easy at first sight. So please why the "not supposed to be" ? Thanks.

So please why the "not supposed to be" ?

newme4.th.png

Because that's how it was designed? I don't see how this is an excuse. Just because I change my default download location doesn't mean I want EVERYTHING to go there ALL the time. What happens if my drive becomes full, and I simply want µTorrent to download to a new location for NEW torrents by default? Does that mean that I suddenly moved all of my old torrents to the new drive? No, I just want new torrents to go to the new drive because the old drive is full.

Once you add the torrent, the information is set in resume.dat.

The preferences folder options are current for NEWLY ADDED torrents.

That makes some sence already. I think I'm slowly starting to understand it now. So in fact this resume.dat file is the cause for all the difficulties.

Just because I change my default download location doesn't mean I want EVERYTHING to go there ALL the time. What happens if my drive becomes full, and I simply want µTorrent to download to a new location for NEW torrents by default? Does that mean that I suddenly moved all of my old torrents to the new drive? No, I just want new torrents to go to the new drive because the old drive is full.

Allright that makes sense. I didn't take enough notice to the "new" in that window. But what about the redirection of the finished DL's, because I think I had problems with that too. Is that location also kept in some file, file in which the new address is not changed according to a change you make in the address in that same window. I know for sure that in most applications etc.. , if you change something like that and there is a file somewhere that records these changes, the information inside that file is also changed accordingly, I agree most of the time the change is done perhaps only after a restart.

Archived