how to block individual ips

yes, ipfilter.dat

...is it a good idea?

Probably not.

Btw, if you have very many peers connecting to you then you likely WON'T be uploading to each one at 20 KiloBYTES/second...chances are you'll be barely uploading 5 KiloBYTES/second to them on average.

Thanks for the info. The ips I was questioning had up limits of 600 but down limits of up to 20000. Just seemed a little suspect like that is a default limit if you wanted to use it. I do understand that some isp charge for up and downloads but doesn't seem all that sporting to have a ratio like 30 to 1. Maybe I don't know enough about it to comment, but again your input is very much appreciated.

Thanks

One of the secrets that makes uTorrent work so well is that it downloads the rare parts of a file first (rare meaning not many people have it). If you don't stay connected to peers you won't know which pieces of the file are rare. You won't be helping yourself and your torrents may not finish at all.

One of the secrets that makes uTorrent work so well is that it downloads the rare parts of a file first (rare meaning not many people have it).

Well, it's not really a secret. That's how BitTorrent clients are supposed to behave, as that's how availability is increased most efficiently.

> Well, it's not really a secret.

What exactly is your problem? I was trying to be helpful to him.

Do you think the question answerer would have been helped more by "one of the well-known things that you don't know is, ..."?

Not sure what my problem is, but I'm not really seeing why my post offended you so. Was it what I wrote? Was it my tone? Was it the fact that I just happened to correct your post, and you didn't like it?

I didn't think trying to clarify a previously made (and slightly incorrect) point was being unhelpful either. This is the Protocol Design Discussion -- I'd expect that posting correct facts regarding the protocol would be perfectly permissible. But thanks for the unwarranted criticism; it's very much appreciated.

If you'd like, I can always go back and correct your post further by stating that staying connected to a handful of peers that you would have otherwise blocked/banned won't guarantee that you know which pieces are rare in the overall swarm either. Rarity is relative based on who you're connected to. Depending on which sets of peers you connect to, what pieces are considered to be "rare" may change.

The point is, rarity isn't even the issue at hand. Banning a peer won't lead to drastically changed rarity levels. The issue at hand here is that manually banning peers based on your own discretion (and not some better metric, like good:bad pieces) can stagnate and congest the flow of good pieces because certain paths of data transfer get unnecessarily closed off.

Now, I suggest you take a step back and breath before you pounce on someone over nothing. Especially when that someone isn't questioning your intention to be helpful.

• 4 months later...

On private trackers disable DHT, PEX & LPD is necessary when the torrent is posted on public trackers and private trackers don't provide full torrent privacy (ie DHT, PEX & LPD are sometimes enabled).

Plus use ipfilter.dat. Open it in notepad and add the IPs you want to ban.

Archived