Real slow speeds, might be caused by ISP?

ktadie

Hey guys,

I just got a new ISP here in Denmark called YouSee.

So now my downloading speeds were horrible, even though it is a 4mbs connection.

I searched online and discovered that my ISP had started to block P2P programs and Bittorrent's servers.

However, I then learned that by using certain ports, my ISP could not block them anymore. This worked for my P2P program, Frostwire, but not with uTorrent.

I did some more research and learned that I should "encrypt" uTorrent, which I checked and it had been encrypted since the beggining..

I also changed the port..

I don't know what to do :S

uTorrent is lighting green and indicates no problems, I did my speed test and it was at 800kb/s - 1mb/s. My download speed from URL's, such as RS or anything other download link, is at 200-500kb/s.. But uTorrent is at a sad 0.1-5Kb/s..

Help will be much appreciated!

enable protocol encryption in prefs- if you enabled seeding has priority make sure you turn upload speed from 0 to about two thirds of upload speed next to seed at the TOP right click peers there's a big list here to play with but untill you know just tick debug Take a look at utorrents help guide

"enable protocol encryption in prefs- if you enabled seeding has priority make sure you turn upload speed from 0 to about two thirds of upload speed next to seed at the TOP right click peers there's a big list here to play with but untill you know just tick debug Take a look at utorrents help guide"

Thanks for the reply!

I cannot find "enable protocol encryption" in prefferences.. But when I press the network status icon, which shines green, I have told it to encrypt it's downloads..

I do not have "seeding has priority"

I really don't know what to do :S I tried reading uTorrent's help guide.. but couldn't find anything that helps =(

uTorrent's settings are based on your UPLOAD SPEED, so knowing your download speed is NOT ENOUGH -- as most ISPs give far less upload than download!

We also don't even know from your post whether the speeds you mentioned are kilobits/second or KiloBYTES/second...or megabits/second or MegaBYTES/second. This is basically an order-of-magnitude (10 times) difference!

Well, my download speed with P2P programs is about 30-100KB/S, I.e. kilo bytes per second. and download speeds from http links, e.g. RS free users etc. is 300-500 kilo bytes per second.

My connection speed is 4mbs/256kbs or 125kbs ;p So, my download speed is MUCH lower than my upload speed. But why would that effect my download speeds? :S

I put the "maximum upload speed" to Automatic, and now some torrents are at around 40'ish kb/s. So I guess upload speed does affect it. But how can I change this to make my speeds faster? =)

TCP/IP traffic requires timely reply packets to each download packet. If your upload is overloaded, then the connection you're downloading from slows down because it's not getting reply packets. ("I got last packet, send more/faster!")

Your upload speed should be stable and VERY near uTorrent's upload speed max...or quite likely download speed will suffer horribly. Tit-for-tat nature of BitTorrent -- if you're not uploading as fast to others as you claim to be able to, they tend to upload less back.

256 kilobits/second upload speed is about 25 KiloBYTES/second usable upload speed in uTorrent assuming your ISP is crippling BitTorrent traffic in some way.

Archived