internet service provider says i max out network

savemulder

i just moved into amherst, ma. and apparently when i run uTorrent i make the our network max out. my download speed is (with two or three files downloading) is only 150 kb, tops. any ideas on why this is happening? i think it might be the global number of connections - the default is like 600 or something. other than that i have no idea why this happens. it sucks because i try to download shit, and i even set up the scheduler so that it would only download @ night when nobody uses the network, but the administration continues to tell me that i when they shut off the port to my computer the system returns to normal...

jon

thanks firon and switeck for getting back to me. i checked out the link firon posted, http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php … 92#p258231, and i changed my settings according to the tips. one box i still have checked in my options is DHT network, and DHT network for new torrents. what i am trying to do is maximize my download speed while not straining the network. are there certain settings that may make the network work harder? say Upnp port mapping? or Nat-pmp port mapping? i have no clue what these two things do...or what DHT does for that matter... to repeat myself, i was downloading over 100 kb when the administration would shut me off, and after i changed my settings i am peaking around 30 kb. maybe there is some inbetween ground?

thanks moderators! have a nice dayyy :-)

Archived