request for crash reproduction

theant

I've had µTorrent crash on me a couple times recently, and am really not sure what may be causing it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to track program crashes and possibly get memory dumps on a win98 system? All mine does is blue screen me, and then µTorrent is gone.

(I've been a good little boy and rebooted shortly afterwards, so I haven't tested to see if repeated crashes of the program makes windows progressivly more unstable)

-The ANT

For Win98: I have checked... I read some of the posts about the dump files, searched the directory that µtorrent resides in, where the torrent files are, the location of torrents in progress and torrents completed, etc... I even checked the root directories of the partitions of the above mentioned directories. No luck... one hint I seem to have is that it ALWAYS crashes if I leave it running too long. Like if I start it before I leave for work, or before I go to sleep, it will always have crashed by the time I get back / wake up. So if there are any threads currently active about long runtimes they might help.

- I note for those that may not know about win98, ANYTHING running for a long time has a great chance of making windows unstable if there are any sorts of memory or resource leaks. Good thing they fixed that in the NT series of windows.

-The ANT

yes I have: limited max global connections to 100 (even though I did the registry tweak to 512 so I could potentially handle more). And I have IE 6 installed.

nother note: the beta seems more prone to crashing compared to v1.3 (thats the nature of beta's though)

-The ANT

it happens over time... tends to be more likely the longer I let it run.

I can usually go for a couple hours before it crashes... and it usually crashes "when I'm not looking" as it were. Kinda like a watched pot never boils.

- I'll try turning off DHT and see if I notice any major difference, and then I'll let it go for a good day or so and see if it still crashes.

-note for the records : AVG is my virus scanner of choice at the moment, and it does NOT play well with µTorrent: I've turned it off whenever I run µTorrent on this system. I'm also running ZA, but other than a little biit of CPU spikes now and then, it seems to be OK... after / during the DHT test, I'll see if turning off ZA also helps, since I know it has the potential to screw things up... especially if it's tring to scan tons of UDP packets.

I'm looking forward to a Linux port of the program (my other system is faster, and runs linux, I've been able to get a torrent client to run on that thing for days without interuption (unlike win98))

if I have time I might try µTorrent under WINE... and I'll be sure to let you all know if it works.

-The ANT

Archived