Uploading without seeding unethical?

kitano

I always thought you could only watch a video file you were downloading if you had all the pieces in the 'file' tab. Then I realised you could actually watch a file even if your download isnt complete. I'm kind of confused now, whats the point in downloading it at all then? My question is: would it be unethical to just upload the same amount that the file is and delete the torrent, rather than completing the download and then seeding to that amount before deleting?

As you might tell I'm all about the 1:1 ratio considering my ISP's limit of bandwidth and a lack of drive space most days.

I dont want to get kicked off trackers for not uploading, so I'm just wondering if the act of seeding is necessary or can I just upload to 1:1 while I'm downloading, then delete the torrent once I've uploaded enough.

Thanks for the help.

If you haven't finished downloading all the pieces in a file, you can't actually watch it all. You might be able to watch parts of it, but not the entire thing.

If you finish downloading and your ratio is already 1 or better, you can remove the torrent.

Archived