Beating Sandvine throttling on Comcast

knightrd

I've been looking into ways to beat Sandvine and came across a pretty cool article called "Beating Sandvine on Linux with iptables":

http://tuxtraining.com/2008/06/21/beating-sandvine-on-linux-with-iptables/

The easiest way to take advantage of this that I can think of is to use something like OpenWRT on a compatible router that you can pick up from eBay. Other methods might include using Virtual Machine software on a machine with Linux and Windows setup or just using two PC's with appropriate configurations. The router method makes more sense because that offsets the inconvenience of the other solutions.

No, sadly not very useful. RST packets are sent to both sides. At best you limit your replies to this type of spoofing. At worst, you increase half-open counts to detrimental levels. If your ISP doesn't want you to use the connection you pay for, check around. Or use 1.8, it performs better for many people on these type of impacted lines.

Also peerguardian lists (currently default from bluetack) do not include any sort of "checking" on them. You should only use your own lists you make yourself with absolute confidence. Bluetack will add anyone who does not fit into their propaganda ... consider the recent hubbub with anti-virus update servers. Or the timeframe (has it been removed?) utorrent.com servers were blocked.

jewel is right about RST packets being sent to the other peer as well. Unless the other peer also ignores the RST packet on their port, you will be disconnected.

> peerguardian

Many people here - especially µTorrent mods and fans - are hostile towards PeerGuardian because utorrent.com is blocked and that causes a lot of trouble for port forwarding diagnostics. But other than that, I think IP blocklists are fine. Yeah, go ahead and research your own blocklist... its a really good use of your time.

Archived