Someone Please tell me what im doing wrong.

computermesh

Firstly to explain a bit. I had DSL with utorrent running fine. I was getting around 300KB down / and was limiting to about 30KB up. Which was fine because I ran a speakeasy speed test and that was right around what I was getting so I was happy with it. A couple weeks ago I switched over to cable internet. And now I have never reached above 160KB down and in the neighbor hood of 20-25KB up. Now I know they call cable internet the "Party Line" when more people are on the slower it goes...but I've had this a couple weeks now and still have not seen any increase in my up or down speeds when speakeasy is telling me I should be capable of way more. The software hasn't changed any but I checked my firewall settings and all is well. I have a Motorola cable modem and a trendnet switch. Running windows xp, and even with the firewall off im still not getting any better results. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Your cablemodem (Motorola Surfboards) may act as a router/firewall, dropping incoming connections (sometimes?) causing uTorrent to be firewalled as well. I've heard they can be unreliable about doing this, even go into complete 100% firewalled mode for no apparent reason. At least that was true of the earlier Surfboards (4100 and earlier). So even if you get the green light some/most of the time, all may not be perfectly well. Aggressive settings seem to make the modem go haywire quicker. :P

I don't recognize your ISP, but it's probably a smaller one...so it may be reselling bandwidth that it gets from a bigger ISP that it connects through. Either one may be throttling/disrupting BitTorrent traffic.

Due to the shared nature of cable lines (they act as a hub/star network topology where only 1 can transmit/upload at a time), it's somewhat understandable that the ISP would want to put a limit on file-sharing software that can easily run 24/7 and constantly upload at max. But almost no ISP will tell you upfront before you join them that they do that. :(

Archived