Hash checks of large files (>1GB)

Skotavus

On occasion, when my computer needs to be restarted (or does it itself) uTorrent will perform a hash check on any torrents that were downloading at the time of the crash. However, with torrents that exceed 1 GB (the one causing problems at the moment is a 95% complete 4GB batch torrent of video files), my computer freezes or runs so slowly that it is unusable and has to be rebooted, forcing me back to square one and 0% hash check status.

This is the cause of great annoyance and wasted hours trying to get it to download again. Unfortunately, I have reloaded the torrent and thus skipping the hash check would force me to re-download all files. I run a decent motherboard with a very low-spec CPU, so it may or may not be a hardware problem.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

You should also run a chkdsk c: /f (drive letter being the drive incomplete pieces are stored at) to fix any file errors. At a later point, you should do a full disk scan chkdsk c: /f /r which could take many hours, but Windows will scan the surface for errors and mark them bad if they are inaccessible.

Certainly sounds like something's up with the hardware... I'd recommend unplugging and re-seating any plugs (if it's internal), and if it's external and you know how/feel comfortable, trying to MAKE it internal and backing up your data... as the drive sounds like it's on a downward spiral :(

Whilst on the subject of HDD's nearing the end:

Video playback of large video files i.e. 100-250MB, video hangs and audio plays around 10Hz bursts of the sound that was playing when it locked up. Is this indicative of a hardware problem or a software problem (I'm hoping a hardware problem, as it will give me extra incentive to upgrade my machine).

If it is the fault of the HDD, this may explain uTorrent's problem with file checking.

Archived