Few Questions

Grimmeh

I can see everyone avoiding this topic already. :P

Anyhow, I've been using torrents for a while, now, and I understand how to use them, seeding is good, blah blah. Yet, I have plenty of questions that have been bugging me to hell.

1. Under the "seeds" column, there are two numbers, one of which is in parenthesis, one of which is not. What do each of them mean? I've been going under the assumption that the one in the parenthesis is seeds found, and the other is seeds currently downloading from. Yet, why doesn't it use both at times? Even if both have 100% of the file.

2. The same as above, but for the "peers" column.

3. Does the name of the torrent affect anything at all? Or is the hash the only part that matters? I probably already know the answer, but say I want to change the ID3 tag information to the correct ones, that would constitute as a whole new torrent, correct?

4. I don't know if this has anything to do with uTorrent, but curious, how do you know if your ISP gives you a limited amount of total upload bandwidth (or download, if ever)?

:)

"how do you know if your ISP gives you a limited amount of total upload bandwidth (or download, if ever)?"

Simple, ALL ISPs give you a limited amount of total upload and download bandwidth.

Some do this simply by limiting your max upload and download speeds.

Others put additional monthly bandwidth caps on that are often less than 1% of what the connection COULD do if it ran at full speed for a whole month.

100 GB a month sounds like a REALLY huge monthly limit.

...But it only takes about 12 KiloBYTES/second for 1 day straight to generate 1 GB of traffic.

So 100 GB a month is averaging about 40 KiloBYTES/second for the whole month.

40 KiloBYTES/second...Doesn't sound too fast for a 10 mbps connection that can download at ~1200 KiloBYTES/second!

Cable ISPs are in theory more likely to have monthly bandwidth limits than ADSL lines in the same area because of cable's shared hub-like nature. That and ADSL lines tend to have lower download and upload speeds, creating less need for huge internet bandwidth lines from the ISP's local link to the rest of the internet.

A quota is a limit on the AMOUNT of bandwidth you can use... i.e. 1 GB mentioned above.

Your speed is 10 Mbit/sec and controls how fast you can download. That's saying at PEAK you can download that fast and are utilizing 10 Megabits or 1.25 Megabytes per second. At full speed a 700 MiB video file would take ~ 7 mins.

Well if they don't list your QUOTA in their ToS (Terms of Service) it's likely you don't have one.

Then again if you haven't checked surely the fastest (IMO, since reading legalese requires a major in bull#$!@) way at an answer would be to call them up and ask any of the following: Do you shape internet over a certain bandwidth quota monthly? Do you shape bandwidth during any time of the day? Am I limited to a quota monthly? Is this quota only upload, or download and upload combined? (Many ISPs in AUS for instance would say yes to the second part there :( ) Also asking for a link to their AUP / FUP (acceptable use policy or fair use policy) would show this type of information. It all requires knowing which WORDS to stick into page-search :P

Other questions ?

Actually, if they don't have a Bandwidth QUOTA amount written out in their fair-use agreement/Terms of Service agreement, then it may still exist but is at the "discretion" of the ISP about how big that amount is.

Really, you should know how fast your connection is, both down AND up...and the monthly use limits -- if any. After all, who'd buy a car knowing so little about it?

Yet for faster broadband connections, it's not unheard-of to end up paying $1000 a year.

Archived