Hotel Network Detecting utorrent, Blocking Internet Access

hegenbarth

I'm staying at an extended-stay hotel. The internet service is wireless, accessed through a browser login (similar to an airport network). I'm not sure if my password is unique; I believe it is universal, and it is changed on a monthly basis.

Utorrent runs fine at first, and gets reasonable download speeds, but after a while the internet will be shut off, and I have to call the internet service co and ask them to turn it back on. If I limit my download speed to 5 kB/s, no problem.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this dismal situation? Is the provider detecting utorrent, bittorrent traffic, or volume of download? I turned on encryption, but haven't tried opening the floodgates again--last time they shut me off, they threatened to report me to hotel management. Would encryption solve the problem? Can I work some sort of proxy somethingorother voodoo (I am no tech savant).

Thanks in advance!

So is there something I can do to avoid setting off whatever alarms they have in place? I'm not a selfish bandwidth user--I know when peak hours are, and I only allow utorrent to DL unrestricted off-peak. I'm limited to using only this connection for at least the next couple of months. Settling for 5 kB/s is a last-resort, virtual non-option. Please help.

You can not fake transfer volume or number of connections. You could rent a server for Bittorrent and just download to your hotel laptop. ImageShack has a free beta: http://tor.imageshack.us/tor/

Otherwise, you might try another hotel, or look for a Starbucks with internet access. You really should limit your global connections to something very small like 10 or 20, to minimize your negative impact on a shared network.

Archived