A leftover From the MS Update/ZoneAlarm Fiasco?

Biffo the Bear

Since the MS Udate/ZoneAlarm problem earlier this week, my uTorrent (1.7.7) has gone to pot. BTW I have temporarily uninstalled the update.

Anyway, since then, I find that new torrents are difficult to get started, and when a torrent finishes, it won't seed. Strangely, all this only applies to torrents put on the client since the update prob. Torrents that were seeding before that have happily continued seeding.

I'm NOT asking for help with this problem, I'm currently working through the many troubleshooting, and how-to, guides available on here. I'm just interested to know if anybody else has experienced any after-the-update strange behaviour.

Through a process of systematic troubleshooting, I've established that my problem is with ZA, not uTorrent, so I've reverted to Windows firewall as per your advice, until I get things properly sorted.

I never jump into forums asking for the lazy man's quick-fix answer, because you don't increase your knowledge that way. I've learned a lot about my uTorrent by slogging through the guides, and it's now in better shape than it ever was (and so am I !).

Notwithstanding, I must admit, I didn't quite realize just how critical the update was, so many thanks for that Firon.

Critical update indeed. After some linkage earlier in the week, after talking to others, and reading... the update, while not essential is now DEFINITELY best-practice to apply, if only for the fact in a month likely there will be an influx of neer-do-well "attacks" on people's DNS.

My main point of awe was the simultaneous rollout for nigh every OS out there :)

And especially if ZA and other firewalls now can't work with this type of low-level change to the OS, I'd even go so far as to recommend NOT using any firewall which doesn't work right again after this patch.

Archived